Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving audio messages?

So, when someone used to send an audio message through Messages, you used to be able to copy and paste it somewhere else, or even save it to voice memos. Apparently that option isn't available anymore?

Anytime I copy and paste it in another text and send it, it sends a blank text with nothing there. The person doesn't receive it. Then when I click on it and tell it to save it, where does it save it? It doesn't go into voice memos.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 12:37 PM

2 replies

Mar 17, 2020 8:04 AM in response to Brad12887

Hi Brad12887,

Thanks for posting. I understand you're unable to save audio that you've received in the Messages app. That's a great feature, and I'm glad to see if I can assist.

This resource has the best information about how you can save audio messages: Send photo, video, or audio messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"To play an audio message, tap the message. To save an audio message, tap Keep underneath the message.

The Messages app deletes audio messages after 2 minutes. To keep your audio messages longer, go to Settings > Messages. Scroll down and tap Expire under Audio Messages, then select After 2 Minutes or Never."

Once you tap "Keep" you would be able to find the message by tapping the "i" in the Messages thread for that contact, and then tapping Attachments.

I hope this helps to answer your question!

Take care.

Mar 17, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Joseph_S.

I appreciate the response. Actually none of this works. I've done it all. Restored phone as new and it still doesn't fix the problem. This is an Apple problem not a phone specific problem. I had to call Apple Support back to report it and now they've escalated it higher.

I can't find anyone who's phone actually does it the way it's supposed to. My audio messages are never deleted. They're set to keep forever. But when you click and hold on it you can copy, save, or more to forward.

None of those options work. If you try any of them they won't work. They also don't show up under attachments either or saved in voice memos.

I imagine it'll have to be corrected with an iOS update.

Saving audio messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.