Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to external screen - hdmi to display

I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro 2018 to an external screen, HP EliteDisplay E231 with a HDMI-DisplayPort cable, but I only get a "No signal" sign on the screen.

I've tried changing settings etc. but nothing seems to work. Who can help me?

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 1:51 AM

Swap parts.

Try a different HDMI cable.

Try a different display.

Try a different HDMI source with this display.

Try a different USB-C-to-HDMI dongle.

See what happens, and if and where the problem moves...

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 17, 2020 1:44 PM in response to claes1koen

According to HP, that monitor supports VGA, DVI and DisplayPort.

Chances are your HDMI-to-DisplayPort cable is not doing what you want.

I would look at another Thunderbolt-3 dock that either supports VGA, DVI and/or DisplayPort directly and not play with cables that are going to try switching in the wire.

If your existing Thunderbolt 3 dock has a Thunderbolt 3 out (not a pass-thru power, and not the port that connects to the Mac, but a TB3 port that will drive additional Thunderbolt 3 devices, then you could look at getting a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 adapter just for the monitor.

For example, I have a CalDigit TS3 dock with a DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have a DisplayPort cable going to a 32" 4K DELL monitor, and I have the TB3 port going into a TrippLite Thunderbolt 3 to DVI/USB3/Gigabit adapter that is driving a Samsung 1080p monitor via DVI. The CalDigit has all the ports I really want, but I needed something for the Samsung monitor, and I had the TrippLite adapter available. I just ignore the USB3 and Gigabit ports on it.

My point is that use the right Thunderbolt 3 dock for the job.

Cannot connect to external screen - hdmi to display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.