Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac keeps asking me to authenticate everything

Mac keeps asking me to authenticate every time I take a breath. I just want to move files from one finder window to another. The Hard Drive "get info" does not show my username, only "system", "wheel", and "everyone". "System" privileges are Read & Write, the other two Read only. It is now giving me the option to make "System" the owner but I don't want to click that for fear I'll tear a hole in the universe. Please help.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 8:58 PM

Here is the method to fix your home folder permissions.

Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 18, 2020 8:26 PM in response to cmaltese

Permissions on any given folder do not propagate to subfolders. So, giving yourself permission on the hard drive only gives you permission to modify the root level of the hard drive. However, that capability is not available in Catalina.

Where are you trying to create items? You should be able to create and edit files in your home folder or in /Users/Shared without any authentication. Are you using folders in your home or somewhere else?

mac keeps asking me to authenticate everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.