Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Battery Drain from Apple Music

My iPhone battery drains whenever I listen to Apple Music, but it drains significantly when I use the lyrics option. From listening to a 3-4 minute song, the battery drains by 10-30%. Is there a fix for this or something I need to do? When I check battery usage, I do not see Music listed as an issue. It also happens on my iPad as well.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 12:23 PM

I’m having this issue as well. Interestingly, Music is not even running on my phone when it happens. But it IS draining the battery from the background while I am listening to music on my iMac. Like others have said, it also results in overheating.

39 replies

Mar 19, 2020 8:20 PM in response to she130

Hello she130, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you've noticed a rapid decrease in your battery life when listening to Apple Music. This is occurring most often when you use the lyrics option while listening to music. 

Nice work thinking to check the battery usage first. Next, check to see what the iPhone is reporting for the health of the battery. Go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health You'll want to look at the Maximum Capacity and see if it is reporting Peak Performance Capability. This article will give you more details: iPhone Battery and Performance

If you see a message about the battery health, see if it matches any of the ones which are listed in the article. 

If there is no message, begin by quitting the Music app with these steps: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once it is closed, Restart your iPhone, and see if there is any change. 

All the best!

Jul 5, 2020 10:17 AM in response to she130

when I opened the Apple Music app a couple days ago it gave a message about some new feature and I just click ok. Since then my battery has been decimated. See screen shots which shows Apple Music guzzling my battery in two hours. Up until a couple of days ago I was getting approx 6-8 hours out of my battery, now I’m getting about 1-3 hours if I’m lucky. What ever it is apple need to fix it! I was very close to going off spending money to get my battery replaced, but it doesn’t seem to be the issue as there are so many other people with similar experiences.

May 29, 2020 2:51 AM in response to she130

This problem began with an Apple Music launch. There are a lot of complains about the issue on apple’s reddit, but they pretend that the problem does not exist and answer with solutions they did not even try.

The problem is the Apple Music app. Yes, only the app. It drains battery even in flight mode, LPM and all other apps killed.

Jun 22, 2020 3:14 AM in response to she130

Same. Iphone X newly bought. IOS 13. Batt health is 100%.

but when I use Apple Music with lyrics, my phone overheats or gets too warm. Somehow it’s okay if I run it in the background. I also tested restarting it (background app refresh is off) but when I used Apple Music with lyrics, one song can drain it to 5%.

Watching a youtube video does not even do this.

Jun 23, 2020 6:19 AM in response to she130

I noticed this was happening to me (iPhone 7 plus). When I turn on the lyrics option while listening to music the battery rapidly starts to drain. I thought it was my battery which was at 77% health...but I recently got a new replacement battery from Apple and I see the same issue using Lyrics. The phone can also feel very warm. I thought it was only me until I found this forum post. Are Apple really denying this is an issue??

Jul 3, 2020 4:32 PM in response to she130

Same problem here with an iphone 6 and ios 12.4. My battery health is 100%. Apple Music don't stop trying to download the music even if he can't, and even after a reboot. It drains my battery and overheat my iphone. What is strange is that the battery is still drained even after removing the app. I never had this problem before trying to use Apple Music.

Jul 5, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Terry35mm

I have an Apple Watch and the watch didn’t cause major battery drainage. My battery activity indicates the music app is guzzling power from my battery. Both when in use and in the background. I thought it might be my battery but there’s seems to be a lot of people with the same problem. Apple Music popped up with a message recently and I stupidly just agreed to what ever it was and since then my battery is only lasting 1-2 hours. The issue has only been over the past couple days

iPhone Battery Drain from Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.