Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps quitting unexpecredly

Keeps quitting multiple times a day for 3 weeks on my Mac Mini.

Has started happening on my MacBook Air.

Both are running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Mac Mini is linked to modem by Ethernet cable, MacBook is wireless.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 6:50 AM

Nealer83 Said:

Mail keeps quitting unexpecredly: Keeps quitting multiple times a day for 3 weeks on my Mac Mini. Has started happening on my MacBook Air. Both are running High Sierra 10.13.6. Mac Mini is linked to modem by Ethernet cable, MacBook is wireless.

———-

• Use MalwareBytes for Mac:

This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

Sometimes operations are performed and then the keyboard settings become manipulated, technically. So... Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM. Then reboot with this keyboard plugged in once more.

• Any Security Software Installed?:

Security software would want to make sure that you are getting optimum usage of your Mac. So, apps just sitting about (i.e. Mail) would close if they are taking up what the Security Software could consider unnecessary.

So, uninstall it, using the uninstaller from the developer’s site. Just dragging a dropping it into the Trash will undesirably leave caches and other files sitting around on your Mac.

• Create a New Administrator User:

Are you logged in as an Administrator? Create a new Administrator user, and see if this still occurs while you are logged into a different Administrator user. If not, then it is something configured in your current user.

So, from there delete the current user and then just use this new administrator account. You would move all of your files over to it. See if that fixes it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2020 6:50 AM in response to Nealer83

Nealer83 Said:

Mail keeps quitting unexpecredly: Keeps quitting multiple times a day for 3 weeks on my Mac Mini. Has started happening on my MacBook Air. Both are running High Sierra 10.13.6. Mac Mini is linked to modem by Ethernet cable, MacBook is wireless.

———-

• Use MalwareBytes for Mac:

This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

Sometimes operations are performed and then the keyboard settings become manipulated, technically. So... Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM. Then reboot with this keyboard plugged in once more.

• Any Security Software Installed?:

Security software would want to make sure that you are getting optimum usage of your Mac. So, apps just sitting about (i.e. Mail) would close if they are taking up what the Security Software could consider unnecessary.

So, uninstall it, using the uninstaller from the developer’s site. Just dragging a dropping it into the Trash will undesirably leave caches and other files sitting around on your Mac.

• Create a New Administrator User:

Are you logged in as an Administrator? Create a new Administrator user, and see if this still occurs while you are logged into a different Administrator user. If not, then it is something configured in your current user.

So, from there delete the current user and then just use this new administrator account. You would move all of your files over to it. See if that fixes it.

Mar 20, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Nealer83

Nealer83 Said:

"Nope, it crashed again, It also crashed in the new user account I had set up.: Is there a problem with the messages being downloaded in the background? See screenshot."

-------

Thank you for the update.

Lastly, Reinstall the MacOS:

If Safe Mode (as I described in my previous reply) does not work, then reinstalling your macOS may be the way to go about solving this. Sometimes installed apps (Mail in this case) become manipulated, technically. And with Mail being a part of the macOS, it cannot be uninstalled itself. Reinstall the macOS to fix corrupt-installed items. Missing files will be reinstalled, and moved items with be placed back to where they should be. So, try Safe Mode. Then, reinstall the macOS, if Safe Mode does not work.

-------

As for Reinstalling the Mac OS:

Nothing would be lost. It’s just that all misconfigured files would be fixed and placed back where they should be.

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Backing up your Mac:

Are you Concerned of Losing Data?

• If not, just move ahead and erase the disk and then install the macOS

• If so, back up your Mac: (using Time Machine)

How to Use Time Machine:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Mar 20, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Nealer83

Nealer83 Said:

"Nope, it crashed again, It also crashed in the new user account I had set up.: Is there a problem with the messages being downloaded in the background? See screenshot."

-------

Thank you for the update.

Download These Using Mail in Safe Mode:

Are these downloads stuck? Have they completed downloading? If not, try all of this in Safe Mode. Safe Mode puts all caches and other temporary files aside so that things run smoother, in hopes to complete items successfully.

1. Hold Down: Shift button upon boot
  2. Log In
  3. Try Mail for a few and see if it all downloads.
  4. Once downloaded, you should be find from there.

-----

Use a Private Network:

Speed this download up by using a private network (your own router and modem). Also, end all other running applications. If you have gaming (i.e. PS4) taking place, then end that. Be certain you are using your own network, and that you have a fast connection. Do not connect to a public network (Library, School, Work). There may just be too much traffic going on in the background. So, try this download in Safe Mode.

Mar 24, 2020 3:29 PM in response to Nealer83

Nealer83 Said:

Done everything suggested including re-installing High Sierra and I'm still getting crashes. The last one was after attaching a PDF and pressing send. I'm thinking of switching to another mail client. Thunderbird is clunky but Spark looks promising. Any suggestions

———-

Rid of these Apps.

Just use Mail:

I’d say just use “Mail” and none other.

Bugs in the Software/CPU Usage:

These add-ons are probably incompatible in one manor or another with something running in the background. So uninstall it (contact the developer about doing so). CPU Usage May be being eaten up from this app.

Mail keeps quitting unexpecredly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.