Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail unexpectedly quits in High Sierra

Never had this issue in the past, now on two macs it is an issue.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 8:43 AM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2020 8:43 AM in response to ltcfearless

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Aug 15, 2020 3:05 PM in response to ltcfearless

I've seen others with the problem, have cured several.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report from this App for us to look at…

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The relevant part would be like...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Don't use these, they are just examples, yours will appear different.

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Aug 12, 2020 6:20 PM in response to BDAqua

I'll try your suggestions. Interesting that mail on High Sierra worked fine for years. Now it is a problem on two Macs (2011 vintage so I can't upgrade). On my newer Macs running Mojave, no problem and email accounts are exactly the same. In doing a web search it seems I am not the only one having this issue. On appletoolbox there are some suggestions which I tried. Here is the link https://appletoolbox.com/mail-keeps-crashing-on-macos-high-sierra-fix/#Fixes_For_When_Mail_Keeps_Crashing_on_macOS_High_Sierra

Aug 16, 2020 2:03 PM in response to BDAqua

As I wrote earlier, I tried all the suggestions I found on the web with little success. Your suggestion of starting up in Safe Mode didn't occur to me. I did that on both machines that have been giving me problems. It seems to have worked. I am "cautiously optimistic" that the problem is solved. I also cleaned out all those hidden folders "On My Mac" There were things in there from year back that may have caused issues. In any event I am keeping fingers crossed. Thank you for the suggestion about Safe Mode. Hopefully I will not have to got through the next steps you suggested.

Aug 17, 2020 1:34 AM in response to ltcfearless

I had the "mail quit unexpectedly" problem for ages on a late 2011 MacBook pro. Apple expressed no interest in helping . I tried all of the above fixes and more on other websites. I even did a complete re-install of High Sierra, but the problem persisted. What actually fixed it for me was using the facility in Mail to rebuild the database. I did that for each database, including sent, trash etc. And the problem disappeared! Much simpler than all of the previous methods - and successful.

Aug 22, 2020 5:51 PM in response to ValWh

I to have tried all the "fixes" with no lasting success. The problem only developed this year on a 2011 iMac and 2011 MacBook Pro both running High Sierra. I did the rebuild in the past with some success, but I guess it is time try it again. My 2015 iMac running Mojave with the same email accounts (6 of them) has no problem. I'll let you know how this turnes out.

Sep 22, 2020 2:03 AM in response to ValWh

Actually, although the problem want away for a few days, it recurred; there having been no changes to the system in the interim, and happens daily. This is after trying every single suggested fix found on this and other sites, and reinstalling High Sierra from scratch. I guess I just have to live with it.

Mail unexpectedly quits in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.