Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv / home sharing etc

we have made a vacation video on the Mac and shared / exported it to the apple TV App on the imac

the TV App shows that video and ALSO all the previous ones we have made - they seem to have been automatically shared to the new TV App from iTunes.

when we go to our television ( with an apple tv attached) we can still watch all the old videos but not the new one ? That one is missing ? Obviously the various settings to share are all ok.

It seems that apple tv App on our Mac is not updating on our apple TV / television ?

Any idea what I am doing wrong please or how to fix this ?

I just want to see our new video on our television ?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 1:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 7:22 AM

To put video files in your Home Sharing library pre-macOS Catalina (i.e. with the iTunes application), add them to the iTunes application on the Mac.

To put video files in your Home Sharing library with macOS Catalina (i.e. without the iTunes application), add them to the TV app on the Mac.

It is about having the file added to the library. Folders won’t be scanned automatically for additions.

There may be some video file formats that are compatible with the Mac, but not the Apple TV box. Such files may not appear as shared there, and if they appear then they may not be playable.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2020 7:22 AM in response to KateEU

To put video files in your Home Sharing library pre-macOS Catalina (i.e. with the iTunes application), add them to the iTunes application on the Mac.

To put video files in your Home Sharing library with macOS Catalina (i.e. without the iTunes application), add them to the TV app on the Mac.

It is about having the file added to the library. Folders won’t be scanned automatically for additions.

There may be some video file formats that are compatible with the Mac, but not the Apple TV box. Such files may not appear as shared there, and if they appear then they may not be playable.

Mar 22, 2020 6:13 AM in response to Urquhart1244

thank you

i used to share home movies to itunes - if i recall - and then watch them on apple tv on my tv via Computers

But now you cant share to itunes only to file

I put the file into apple tv on my imac -

when i go to the television / apple tv / computers all my OLD movies show up but not the new one -

any ideas- how i put the new home movie where apple tv can find it -

I cant see where it looks for home movie files on my mac ?

ps i have put a copy in the itunes folder which is on an external disk but it still isnt showing - I assume its looking elsewhere ?

Apple tv / home sharing etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.