Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating apps using iTunes 12.6.5.3

I've been using iTunes 12.6.5.3 to update and sync my IOS apps for quite a while now. But a few days ago it stopped working. When I hit the "Update All Apps" button in iTunes, it displays "Downloading xxx", "Downloading yyy" and continues through all apps that's available for update, but nothing is downloaded. Looks like a server problem, but no error messages are displayed whatsoever. Updating the apps via each of my IOS devices is of course working just fine.

Any ideas?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 4:30 AM

110 replies

Apr 28, 2020 11:25 AM in response to BobW0904

Well, it is rather confusing when one changes devices and asks for the new device to be restored from a backup. I've done this before and it worked for all my app's. The question is, did it install the apps from the backup or did it download them again from the App Store?

The link provided: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136 such says:

Backups from your computer

A computer backup of your device, which is not the same as a sync, includes almost all of your device's data and settings. A backup from a computer doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from Finder or iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

• So what does "Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books" mean? Is it referring to data such as music, iBooks, etc or also apps?

Further it says:

Can I use my device's backup for another kind of device, like an iPhone backup for an iPad?

You can restore a device from a backup of another kind of device, like using an iPad backup for an iPhone, but certain types of content won't transfer. This content includes photos, Messages and attachments in Messages, Voice Memos, and apps that aren't compatible with the device that you’re setting up. For example, apps compatible only with iPad won't transfer to your iPhone.

I don't believe the backup is actually going to the apps store and re-downloading, it's getting the apps from the backup has been my experience and understanding. Apples servers would be overloaded with download requests every time someone does a restore for whatever reason.

It is confusing. The fact that the Windows side of things still works for 12.6.5.3 says something else rather than Apple killing the same iTunes on the Mac side. They would simply kill it on the Windows side too if that were the case. Logically than, one wonders why Apple has not addressed this issue in one form or another after so much daily feedback?

Anyone know if the backup to the computer copies the apps for sure? I think it does.

I'm backing up NOW. LOL

Mar 30, 2020 5:24 PM in response to ArthurBA

To see the update you downloaded via Apple Configurator (mine sees only some updates not all, sigh)

you need to be sure you have the "app".ipa somewhere safe on your computer, best would be in iTunes library

because as soon you reopen A.Config all apps downloaded will disappear -it's a temporary location

then move the one you still need to update where you wish: delete it if you are sure of the new update or backup it somewhere safe, but not on the same disk because iTunes is stupid enough not to update but it can find the app anywhere in the same disk.

Then you will option click the update in iTunes and not finding the app you moved you'll be asked to Locate it

Go to the updated one and you will be done for today

I had to do the task several times 😟

Apple fix it!!

There are many threads about the issue even on Reddit and MacRumors, beside here

Apr 1, 2020 6:08 PM in response to johpo01

I'm a software developer, so I used the special portal Apple give to us to report bugs to also report this issue. I've also reported it using appspot open radar which is an 'open' equivalent that developers use.

The reference is: FB7648444, which you are free to use in your correspondence with Apple or other App Developers.

Full text of my report is below:

iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Mac cannot download new apps or update existing apps

Recent Similar Reports: None

Resolution: Open

Product :iTunes

Issue: Incorrect/Unexpected Behaviour

I've downloaded iTunes 12.6.5.3 for Mac and Windows from here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

The Windows version DOES NOT exhibit this bug.

Since March 15th, the MacOS version cannot download or update iOS apps.   Prior to March 15th it worked OK.  MacOS High Sierra is the latest version of MacOS that this version of iTunes is supported on (as per the support note above it will not run on Mojave or Catalina).

Install new app fail

1. start iTunes

2. switch to app view

3. click on "App Store" tab.

4. purchase app/get free app (eg: TikTok)

5. window briefly flashes "downloading ..."

6. app is not downloaded

Update fail

1. start iTunes

2. switch to app view

3. click on updates tab

4. click on "Update All Apps" button

5. window briefly flashes "downloading ..."

6. no apps are updated

If the windows version works, and the mac version does not, then the implication is that Apple wants us to use the Windows version and retire our macs.  I suspect this was not Apple's intention.

Diagnostics attached:

system_profiler -xml  > ~/Documents/apple-itunes-feedback-system-profiler.spx

sudo sysdiagnose

cp /private/var/tmp/sysdiagnose*.tar.gz ~/Documents/

Apr 27, 2020 11:21 AM in response to annabelle

I need to correct my earlier post...

iTunes 12.6.5.3 on Windows is still able to download iOS apps. I was looking at a newer version of iTunes on a different Windows VM. Sincere apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

For anyone looking for the 12.6.5.3 enterprise version of iTunes for Windows (which won't ask you to upgrade), you can find it at the link below. The article has been archived, but as of now the link still works:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

All the best and stay safe in these troubled times!

Apr 28, 2020 10:59 AM in response to The Blues

Thanks the Blues , so today after reading your post on encrypted backups, I have found a couple of support articles (see below for link if the page allows links) on iTunes back up, and it does not sound like any apps are backed up in either regular or encrypted. It actually says a lot of things are not backed up in either one, making me question the phrase "backup" for being really much at all.

Regarding the issue covered in the thread, I think using the latest iTunes software, with either backup type, to backup to iTunes just records the settings you have for each app, not the actual app data. So a rebuild or transfer to new phone still needs internet to load the bulky apps themselves. That is why iTunes 12.6.5.3 is wanted/needed for everyone wanting to keep it operational.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Can you let us know where did you see that the apps on each device are backed up in an encrypted backup too?

Apr 29, 2020 6:21 PM in response to chineseguy38

Agree with Chineseguy38, no syncing to computer from any iTunes after version 12.6.5.3

All iTunes versions after 12.6.5.3 will not store anything on your Mac or Windows iTunes. All that exists is a record of what app, music, etc that you purchased or that family has purchased if you Family Share. The records are associated with your Apple ID, and you may download them again IF the version you want is still available for the system you want to download too.

Here is the current link explaining how to REDOWNLOAD anything you have purchased.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272

If you go thru this thing in detail, you will see that all things need to be downloaded, as there is no more storage possible on your computer running iTunes. The only apps available will be the ones still supported, you cannot download an app you may have had that has been discontinued, so it is lost for good.

Also a rebuild or transfer to new phone with the latest iTunes will still need to download the bulky apps themselves. That is why iTunes 12.6.5.3 is wanted/needed for everyone wanting to keep it operational. Not to mention those of us with old devices and old apps that are NO LONGER available to download.

Apr 29, 2020 11:48 PM in response to BobW0904

I wish Apple would have given some sort of indication of this before going ahead. I have some old apps, which may no longer be available in the App Store. I have had a search for solutions to the issue and have found the following links

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12234

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201593

which describe how to manually manage content on your phone using iTunes (including installing old app). Not sure if it works though. I have found a link to reinstall 12.6.5 iTunes if you have installed the newer version, but it doesn’t work on Mojave or higher, so no good for me https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

May 2, 2020 5:05 AM in response to The Blues

The Blues wrote:

I have had a search for solutions to the issue and have found the following links
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12234
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201593
which describe how to manually manage content on your phone using iTunes (including installing old app). Not sure if it works though.

Use Apple Configurator 2 and you'll get the same app updating functionality as iTunes 12.6.5.3 once had. There are more steps involved with Apple Configurator 2 but it does work.

If you're running High Sierra and try to get Apple Configurator 2 for the first time, the App Store may refuse to download it, saying that a newer version of macOS is required. This can be resolved with the use of High Sierra in a VMware Fusion virtual machine.

Follow the steps here: https://www.chrisjmendez.com/2017/05/02/modify-systemversion-plist-within-macos-sierra/ to install Apple Configurator 2 in the virtual machine. Once added to your Apple ID via the VM, Apple Configurator 2 will be available for you to install elsewhere.

Jul 19, 2020 10:32 AM in response to rick_de

Most likely you won't get a response. As to the need to update your iPhone apps so they work properly on iOS 13:

1. Open the App Store on your phone, then tap Today at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
  3. Scroll down to see pending updates and release notes. Tap Updatenext to an app to update only that app, or tap Update All.

iOS12 has one less step: No need to tap Today and your icon profile.

1. Open the App store on your phone.
  2. Tap the Updates button on the lower menu
  3. Scroll to the updates you need.

It's how Apple wants us to do it now. It's quite simple if you only have one or two devices. 12.6.5.3 allowed us to handle multiple devices for installing/removing apps and updating all our iOS devices. It was great for families and especially IT departments at institutions. 12.6.5.3 was actually designed for them because it removed that annoying update warning that one constantly got on earlier versions.

Since many of us choose to stay with the old iTunes for the features or those like you who have older hardware and OS's and have no choice, Apple in it's great wisdom finally took away this feature from 12.6.5.3 from their servers, so we would be forced to upgrade our hardware and software at some point. I suppose it how they see selling new gear to loyal Apple users.

Update your apps now on your phone to get them to function properly or avoid their failure altogether, and move on. It *****, but don't expect Apple to restore the features of iTunes 12.6.5.3.

Mar 23, 2020 1:10 AM in response to johpo01

I have the same Issue - the latest Updated Apps were Google Earth / OpenTable / SpeedTest by OOKLA / Amazon / Skype 8.58.93 on March 18th 2020, since then the middle Window of iTunes shows that it downloads App - but the Little Download Icon on the Top Right of iTunes is not appearing to show those Apps actually downloading. Nor does my Trash Bin fill with outdated Apps.

Updating apps using iTunes 12.6.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.