Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Pro 16 2019 crashes overnight

Does anyone else have and issue with Mac OS X crashing overnight on a brand new MBP-16" 2019?

Every morning, I open the lid and it has crashed and needs to restart... It's only 2 weeks old. And a fairly vanilla install. Etrecheck doesn't find any obvious issues...

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 3:26 AM

Try booting into safe mode (hold shift when you turn on your Mac.)

Or else, try running first aid (hold cmd+r when you turn on your Mac, enter admin password and click disk utility and select your OS disk [usually Macintosh HD] and click run first aid.)

12 replies

Mar 22, 2020 4:58 AM in response to TravellingKiwi

TravellingKiwi wrote:

Does anyone else have and issue with Mac OS X crashing overnight on a brand new MBP-16" 2019?

Every morning, I open the lid and it has crashed and needs to restart... It's only 2 weeks old. And a fairly vanilla install. Etrecheck doesn't find any obvious issues...

You have a limited 14 days to return for a full refund or exchange for one that works trouble free.

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported. Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

To trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test will take a little longer as caches get rebuilt.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account.

If you are still having issue—

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility http://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access", with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system.

May 5, 2020 6:47 AM in response to xXXx_McBain_xXXx

Resetting PRAM and SMC is a good idea. If it does not fix things, at least it does no harm and it is easy to do.

AFAICT it is still unclear what is causing the problem. Not everyone has it. I have been using a new 16” MBP for nearly a month now and it does not crash. Some people have reported success from resetting NVRAM and SMC, others not so.

May 5, 2020 11:33 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Resetting PRAM and SMC, then turning off:

"Put hard disk to sleep when possible"

"Enable power nap"

"Prevent computer from sleeping"

seems to have done the trick for me. Haven't had the problem in a few days, instead of having it AT LEAST once a day.

Annoying to have to turn off those functionalities but I guess for now is better than a restart every morning.

May 21, 2020 5:43 PM in response to cassiofm

Ok I narrowed down the problem to a possible culprit. After turning off everything I mentioned before, I slowly, day by day, started to turn things back on. I turned everything back on in the Energy Saver>Battery settings tab with no problem. In the "Power Adapter" tab I turned on "Enable Power Nap" and had no problem, "Wake for Wi-fi", no problem, "Put Hard Disk to Sleep when possible" and I woke up to discover my Mac had crashed overnight!

So it seems like to prevent this to happened you need to turn off "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" on the Power Adapter tab.

I'll do some more experimenting and post back y results.

MBP Pro 16 2019 crashes overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.