Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.4 Spontaneous Crashing

2014 Macbook Pro. Specs and EtreCheck report attached and below. Issue: Computer crashes several times an hour. Sometimes it will go fine for an hour or so and then just shutdown. No error reports, just shutdown. I've performed all the reboot procedures including resets. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 9:06 AM

Please post one or more panic reports

Finder -> Go (menu) -> Go to folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Command-Shift-Period will show invisible files. Look for files that end in the word .panic or .contents.panic and post them in an Additional Text box

Press Command-Shift-Period to hid the Finder invisible files again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 9:06 AM in response to marcsimonet

Please post one or more panic reports

Finder -> Go (menu) -> Go to folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Command-Shift-Period will show invisible files. Look for files that end in the word .panic or .contents.panic and post them in an Additional Text box

Press Command-Shift-Period to hid the Finder invisible files again.

Jun 20, 2021 2:44 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi BobHarris.

I didn't find any hidden files. However, here is what I have in my Diagnostic Folder. I posted the results of the Loginhelper.crash information. However, I do find it interesting that my VPN is showing a crash file. Im beginning wonder if my VPN has anything to do with it. 8DAqua asked if I need VPN. The only time I use it is when I travel out of the country. I'm thinking I should forego it and see what happens. Many thanks for the information. Let me know what you get from the loginhelper files, and if you'd like for me to post the VP crash info.

Jun 20, 2021 8:11 AM in response to marcsimonet

Delete these files & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.hp.productresearch.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.hp.devicemonitor.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Local Library

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter~/Library/LaunchAgents, and click Go.

Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Do you really need VPN?

Jun 20, 2021 2:51 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua.

I removed the files as you recommended, and downloaded the fancontrol app. As for blowing the dust out of the fans....well, I never have done it. I assume its taking a can of air and simply doing it that way?

As for VPN, the only time I use it is when out of the country. I do find it quite interesting that in the Diagnostic Reports, it shows a crash report for VPN. I'm going to remove the app and see if that helps. I'll keep you updated.

Marc S.

Jun 20, 2021 4:16 PM in response to marcsimonet

.crash files are something only the developer with the program sources could love.

I'm just moderately good at reading operating system .panic reports, which sometimes are invisible files with the name .contents.panic (leading period in the name keeps the Finder from displaying the file, hence the need to tell the Finder to show hidden files).

Jun 20, 2021 7:33 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob,

I looked through my crash logs....and the only one it shows is from 4 days ago. Something is really screwy with this. This upgrade has been a major disappointment. Really wish I would have stayed with the past OS I was using. However, I thought once they reached the .4 version this would have not been so much of an issue. So far, 11 crashes in the last 2 hours.

Big Sur 11.4 Spontaneous Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.