Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install from dmg

I am trying to install software safely downloaded from the internet. Every time I get the error message "xxx.dmg is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash." I have changed the preferences to allow apps from app store and identified developers. Today, the app I am trying to install is TurboTax, so a well known stable app. I have also tried to upgrade my Finale Notation software, and install Audacity audio editing software with the same results.

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 Mohave

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 1:35 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 22, 2020 5:10 PM in response to SallyinSC

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Boot into Recovery Mode using Command + R and run Disk Utility First Aid on the drive to see if any repairs are needed.

I've seen a couple of our organization's laptops run into the issue where I was unable to open some downloaded .dmg and .zip files. The only solution was to erase the physical drive and to reinstall macOS or restore from a backup. These laptops came in to be repaired for other issues which I don't know if they issues could be related to the same defective part. I suspect some type of corruption occurred to the files due to an issue with the SSD, since after a clean install that particular problem never recurred.

I would suggest backing up your system if you don't have a recent good working backup. You should always have regular verified working backups. Boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) and erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option). You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. The physical drive should be identified something in the form of "Apple SSD ....". After properly erasing the drive you can reinstall macOS or restore from your Time Machine backup.

Mar 22, 2020 2:56 PM in response to SallyinSC

I have also used TurboTax for many years, last year's version is installed on this same Mac and I had no problems with it. Last summer, I spilled liquid on my computer and had to have it fixed at the Apple Store. They replaced many of the inner parts and we restored from my backup. It seems that I have been unable to install any software since somewhere after that repair. I don't install much, but I have a couple of music programs that need updated and now this TurboTax. Could there have been some setting that changed during or after the restore from backup?

Thanks,

Mar 22, 2020 6:04 PM in response to SallyinSC

Let me just suggest it using different words:

As stated in the Note at the bottom of the articles cited above:

Open system preferences > Security and Privacy, and if locked, click the lock and authenticate.

Attempt to Install

The (Open Anyway) button should appear soon after you have tried to install, and persist for no more than an hour.

Unable to install from dmg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.