Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing Up iphonexr

Hi, Does anyone know how to back up an IphoneXR that has the screen broken but still works? I have plugged in my phone & have it on wifi, will that work?

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 1:42 PM

5 replies

Mar 23, 2020 2:07 PM in response to katy5290

I know you've managed to get this working. Yeah it happens as long as you've previously "trusted" your computer on the device. I was able to continuously back up an iPad Mini 2 with a busted screen. At least until I approved a major iOS update, when it would no longer connect unless I (think) it was asking for some approval on the touchscreen.

This is also one of those things where Apple's policy about data runs into the need of the customer to recover said data. They make no pledge to get at the data, and could possibly wipe the device in the repair process or even offer a service replacement in lieu of repairing the device. If the most important thing for the user to is extract the data, then it might be worth considering third party service.

Backing Up iphonexr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.