Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 1 not scrolling

Just updated my iPad Pro to iPadOS 13.4, and was able to pair my Magic Mouse 1 to it. Point and click work just fine, however can't get scrolling gesture to work. Is this a known bug or is it just me ?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 1:45 PM

Same here. I just red the Magic Trackpad 1 does not support scrolling. Ridiculous on Apple’s part.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211008

96 replies

Apr 24, 2020 10:19 PM in response to Guess313

I honestly do not know what Apple was thinking to not support the Magic Mouse 1 (yet). Many people share your frustration and hopefully Apple will support the Magic Mouse 1 and Magic Trackpad 1 in the near future. In the meantime maybe you could take the time to leave feedback for Apple here... https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

We all know that besides the power source design there is no appreciable functionality difference between the Magic Mouse 1 and 2.

Thanks for sharing!

Apr 24, 2020 11:26 PM in response to MichelPM

Hah! No apology needed, and I hope I am not getting you riled. Suggestion - read the following 📝 with this recent untouched photo of me in mind: 🤓 Yes, I know I am slightly jaundiced. No need to point it out.

**Again...we do not know if this feature (Magic Mouse 1) will work with iPad in the future. That is up to 🍎 

You really should not speculate on Apple’s decisions (TOU 2. (1.) (2.))...you might be proven wrong...like some were when they were outspoken about the iPad mouse/trackpad support not ever going to happen...and of course...it is here. 

Not only do people want and use this new functionality they want to improve upon it. 

I understand your perspective...(abridged) “old technology, move on”. Got it. Everyone gets it. You have been very clear with personal anecdotes and factoids that support your position in an attempt to educate people to reality and your personal biases. I hope you can understand other perspectives which do not align with yours. They are simply advocating for more utility that suits them. Of course you can debate the value of that utility...and you have, albeit from a biased perspective. 

You truly are a help to so many people on these forums (including me). Can you please let others share their frustrations without dismissing or attempting to invalidate their thoughts. Maybe even try to empathize with them/their frustrations. Their frustrations are a valid form of constructive criticism. 

Something like...”I honestly do not know what Apple’s reasoning to not support the Magic Mouse 1 yet. Many people share your frustration and hopefully Apple will support the Magic Mouse 1 and Magic Trackpad 1 in the near future. In the meantime maybe you could take the time to leave feedback for Apple here... https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html 

🤓

Jun 27, 2020 9:04 PM in response to siddharth7

Never going to happen, ever!

Apple will not allow the use of their over 10-year old wireless mice and trackpads when they have a much newer versions of these input devices that are still compatible with many of their latest computer and computing hardware.

Sorry, but that’s the reality.

If anyone in this posting think/feels they can change Apple’s thinking on this issue,

Everyone who posts here is free and welcome to submit feedback about this issue to Apple.

This is only one of the few ways to directly contact Apple about ANY product issues.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

If no one posts feedback to Apple, Apple will have NO clue that there are any types of issues with their hardware or software products!

Good Luck to All!

Jul 5, 2020 2:54 PM in response to Gamerpete

Take this up with Apple.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Actually call Apple customer support and see what they tell you!

I am just an Apple customer/product user, just like you!

I have no vested interest either way accept that I am against turning iPads into a poor/lesser version of a laptop computer.

You are, also, free and welcome to submit feedback about this issue to Apple.

This is only one of the few ways to directly contact Apple about ANY product issues.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel, but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple, in California, is made aware and starts working on a fix/solution for a future software update.

Good Luck!

Mar 26, 2020 5:54 AM in response to rmm74

How is it I can scroll with a MS mouse that cost less than 10 UKIP connected to iPad Pro 10.5 via USB with camera connector, but not with Magic Mouse 1?

The following Live Photo shows this. Hopefully the “live” photo will work in this forum. Alas it seems live does not work but you can clearly see the scroll bar that pops up when I move the scroll wheel.

Shame MM1 not supported, but will I spend 66 UKP (Amazon) or 79 UKP (Apple) for new mouse, probably not.

Apr 2, 2020 2:55 AM in response to Luka264

Apple documentation is very clear as to the user interface devices supported by the iPadOS 13.4 update. The Apple Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 all have full support - plus generic support is added for third-party input devices.

The original Magic Mouse and Trackpad were not designed or intended to operate with iPadOS - and whilst not supported by iPadOS, remain fully operable with the Mac computers for which they were designed to operate.

Generic device support provides basic input functionality. For example, many Mice require a manufacturer-supplied “driver” to be installed to enable additional “buttons” (beyond the basic/generic left/right mouse-buttons) and any proprietary “touch” functionality. Additional device driver installation is not (and never has been) supported on iOS platforms. For this reason, basic devices, such as a “basic” mouse seem to have full OS support - whereas a feature-rich Mouse (with many bells-and-whistles) only provides its basic functions when connected to iPad.

Many here are clearly disappointed in that the older-generation Magic Mouse/Trackpad, expressly designed for Mac, are not supported by iPadOS - however, all computing systems have limits as to the type of devices that it can support. Older hardware and devices are often not forward-compatible with new operating systems.

Apr 4, 2020 6:12 AM in response to bioalexandre

Why shame on me? I didn’t write the code - anymore than you did.

The only absurdity here is your apparent expectation that an old, already discontinued Apple product, would have explicit support added to a new a Operating System - that until now, had only minimum support for any external pointing device.

If you don’t like the facts of the matter, as outlined, that is hardly my problem.

Apr 4, 2020 10:15 AM in response to bioalexandre

The simple reason being that your third-party (non Apple) “Mighty Mouse” simply relies upon basic the functionality provided by the generic device driver.

I also have a “basic” Logitech Mouse (with physical buttons and a click wheel) that works just fine - and a significantly more expensive Logitech mouse (with a swipe touchpad) that the basic driver doesn’t support. Neither were designed for iPad; one works, the other doesn’t. I’m happy; if I want all the bells and whistles, I accept that I’ll need to buy a new device that is either designed to be used with iPad - or has explicit support provided by iPadOS.

Apr 4, 2020 2:41 PM in response to LotusPilot

Uh,

LotusPilot, maybe you are too young to know this, but the Mighty Mouse IS an Apple branded mouse designed and made by Apple.

NOT a third party mouse, at all!

The wired and wireless Mighty Mouse were availabke between 2008 and 2010.

It is the Apple mouse with a small little button toward the front of the mouse that acts a both a scroll wheel and cursor control.

Apr 4, 2020 3:32 PM in response to LotusPilot

I started my Mac life on one of the first “Pizza box” Macs in the late 1980’s, early 1990’s.

Used it for DTP and multimedia work when PageMaker was NOT yet owned by Adobe.

I believe PageMaker was designed, developed and owned by a company called Claris, back then.

For multimedia work way back on that Mac, I was using a Mac program called Authorware

Magic Mouse 1 not scrolling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.