Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally erased macOS

How do I reinstall macOS without recovery? MacOS is gone, recovery shows a Windows "recovery" screen that doesn't have any options (I'm assuming Bootcamp didn't erase properly), and I am using a USB with ChromeOS/CloudReady to write this. I do have another USB 2.0 that I can use, but my only other computer runs Windows. I don't think I can make a bootable USB on Windows. Anyone know what to do?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 4:38 PM

No, none of those will work on a 2009. Those startup commands didn't exist until Lion, where they became necessary since Macs then no longer came with physical install media.

You're going to have to put a bootable DVD in the drive and startup to that. Either the gray machine specific disk the Mac came with, or if you don't have that anymore, a retail copy of Snow Leopard. And the only place those are available anymore are at places like Amazon or eBay. Apple is sold out. Cheapest I saw for it was $30 + shipping.

Anyone selling Snow Leopard and is showing gray disks are machine specific. DO NOT buy it. A genuine retail disk looks like this:

One you have some sort of OS installed from DVD, you can then upgrade the OS with a newer version from the App Store.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2020 4:38 PM in response to internetsupportgroup

No, none of those will work on a 2009. Those startup commands didn't exist until Lion, where they became necessary since Macs then no longer came with physical install media.

You're going to have to put a bootable DVD in the drive and startup to that. Either the gray machine specific disk the Mac came with, or if you don't have that anymore, a retail copy of Snow Leopard. And the only place those are available anymore are at places like Amazon or eBay. Apple is sold out. Cheapest I saw for it was $30 + shipping.

Anyone selling Snow Leopard and is showing gray disks are machine specific. DO NOT buy it. A genuine retail disk looks like this:

One you have some sort of OS installed from DVD, you can then upgrade the OS with a newer version from the App Store.

Mar 24, 2020 3:20 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I did try all the combinations but it keeps giving me the Windows recovery. Mine is late 2009. For some reason Option + Command + R doesn't work, neither does Shift + Option + Command + R, neither does Command + R, or D (to open diagnostics). I have tried each of them at different times (Slightly before, at, and slightly after the chime) but they still don't work. All of the recovery options take me to the broken windows recovery screen, and the D just gives me a grey screen.

I accidentally erased macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.