Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac mini wifi internet speed capabilities

According to mac mini technical specifications it have the Wifi standard (Wi-Fi 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible) which mean that the Mac mini maximum can support a (Wifi 5) while currently in the market there is many devices can support the new (Wifi 6) .

I have 5G internet speed , and on my Samsung galaxy S20+ which has the new (wifi 6) , the speedtest.net result is vary from 400 to 600 Mbps .

While i have a windows computer connected directly to the router using a Cat6 cable with network card speed of 1 Gbps , in same speedtest.net the download speed is not reaching above 200 Mbps.

And the same with my Samsung galaxy note 9 which has the same Mac mini standard (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), the speedtest.net download speed is not reaching above 150 Mbps .

If i purchased the new Mac mini, how can i make sure that i will get download speed 400 Mbps and above. Or do i need to wait apple until they release a new Mac mini with the new Wifi 6 .

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 4:06 AM

5G is not WiFi.

5G performance is determined by how good your

5G signal is.

WiFi speed is determined by what tier service plan you

have with your ISP whether is is cable, DSL, etc. If you

have company "A" delivering internet service to your

home and are paying for a 200 Mb/second service, that

is the fastest you will ever be able to get and likely can

be somewhat slower.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 4:06 AM in response to Q8root

5G is not WiFi.

5G performance is determined by how good your

5G signal is.

WiFi speed is determined by what tier service plan you

have with your ISP whether is is cable, DSL, etc. If you

have company "A" delivering internet service to your

home and are paying for a 200 Mb/second service, that

is the fastest you will ever be able to get and likely can

be somewhat slower.

Mar 25, 2020 12:37 PM in response to woodmeister50

Thank you for your support.

I understand that the 5G is not a Wifi, my concern is wich criteria should i look for when i want to purchase a new device such as mobile, smart tv, laptop and other device supporting internet connection through wifi.

Because what is confusing me is

According to this website ( https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html) he said that "Wifi throughput to a 802.11ac wireless device will likely max out at around 520 Mbps (for 2x2 MIMO) to 1000 Mbps (for 4x4 MIMO) no matter what 4×4 router is used (when right next to the " and my Samsung note 9 is support 802.11ac wifi standard but it does not give me any download speed above 200 Mbp, while on other device which have wifi 802.11ax standard it gave me a speed of 400+ Mbps and it's connected to the same wifi that i used for the note 9.

In apple mini , the wifi standard is 802.11ac, will i have the same issue that i have with the Samsung note 9 ?

New Mac mini wifi internet speed capabilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.