Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is downloading from OneDrive, why?

I have an iPhone 7 and use a Windows 10 PC, this problem had been going on for some time. When I launch iTunes, connect my phone by USB and select the phone icon, the sync will start automatically. At this point Windows Notifications pops up the message "iTunes is downloading from OneDrive." Countless files are being downloaded from the 324 GBs of files that I have stored on OneDrive. What is directing this actions? Where are these files being downloaded to? How can I stop it?

I've exhausted all my ideas. I've uninstalled OneDrive from my phone, tried to sync again and it continues. I cannot figure out why it is doing this for hours, and days on end if I allowed it. The Windows Notification that pops up give the option to Cancel the Download but this is a momentary fix. Does this interfere with the sync?

I cannot locate the destination of the downloading files. They are not on my iCloud Drive, iCloud.com only show's that I have 2 folders related to apps, that are empty and have I have .99 GB of my 5 GB remaining. I'm assuming the other 4 GB of storage is reserved for my backup that I cannot see on the iCloud Drive.

From my iPhone's iCloud Storage, it indicates that I have 4 of 5 GB used, 3.9 GB set for Backups. Keep in mind that I have NO videos or photos set to be backed up.

From my iPhone Storage menu I currently have 25.6 of 32 GB used. The largest items are Messages 2.21 GB (I know, that needs to be dealt with) followed by Facebook 816.6 MB, TicTok 437.9 MB and they continue to go down from there. I estimate around 13 GB in apps and data. Itunes indicate that I have 6 GB in Apps, 9 GB in Data, 3 GB for Other, 6 GB Free and the remaining small slivers of a few hundred MB.

Therefore I do not see that those mystery downloading OneDrive files are being put on my phone, unless they are in the 3 GB Other files.

Any solutions on stopping this madness?

iPhone 7

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 3:52 PM

The problem appears to be solved and the answer was what I least suspected yet it was obviously visible. After I deleted the Brother iPrint&Scan app I did not have any more Windows Notification messages of "iTunes is downloading from OneDrive."

Signing out of all of my Microsoft accounts did not solve my problem.

I found that Microsoft has a link that shows apps and services you've given access.

https://account.live.com/consent/manage

This link showed that I have 5 apps, 4 were Microsoft apps and 1 was the Brother iPrint&Scann app.

The hint was in my iCloud Drive, where it showed that I have 2 folders related to apps. Those folders were named iPrint&Scan and the other was Shortcuts (was empty, since I'v not used this app). The iPrint&Scan folder is related to the Brother iPrint&Scan app and had two files in it that I was unable to open. I happily deleted this folder and it files as I seldom use this printer via my phone.

Thank you for your assistance and I hope this can help someone else.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 3:52 PM in response to 1988Tammy

The problem appears to be solved and the answer was what I least suspected yet it was obviously visible. After I deleted the Brother iPrint&Scan app I did not have any more Windows Notification messages of "iTunes is downloading from OneDrive."

Signing out of all of my Microsoft accounts did not solve my problem.

I found that Microsoft has a link that shows apps and services you've given access.

https://account.live.com/consent/manage

This link showed that I have 5 apps, 4 were Microsoft apps and 1 was the Brother iPrint&Scann app.

The hint was in my iCloud Drive, where it showed that I have 2 folders related to apps. Those folders were named iPrint&Scan and the other was Shortcuts (was empty, since I'v not used this app). The iPrint&Scan folder is related to the Brother iPrint&Scan app and had two files in it that I was unable to open. I happily deleted this folder and it files as I seldom use this printer via my phone.

Thank you for your assistance and I hope this can help someone else.

Mar 24, 2020 6:44 PM in response to 1988Tammy

OneDrive is a service from Microsoft. Not an Apple product/service.

I assume that OneDrive works similarly to iCloud Storage in that files can be offloaded from your local system to OneDrive, and the OS automatically retrieves files as they are needed.

I further surmise that when you connect your iPhone to your PC, it's trying to sync content (music tracks? photos?) that are not actually on your local PC but are on your OneDrive storage, and that your system is downloading them from OneDrive in order to sync them to your phone.

It's just a guess, since I don't run Windows, but that's about the only reason I can think of why your phone would force a download from OneDrive. The phone certainly isn't doing it itself.

Mar 25, 2020 5:03 PM in response to Camelot

Thank you for your reply and I agree, something is initiating the request of these files to be downloaded, but what?

All the files that I noted being downloaded from OneDrive by iTunes are photos. It would help if I knew what app is causing these files to be downloading or exactly where iTunes is downloading these files to. Any clue to that?

I have deleted the OneDrive app off of my iPhone and it continues to access my OneDrive account.

I plan next to delete some more apps such as photo apps, storage drive apps and of course the Microsoft apps.

Jun 9, 2020 9:53 PM in response to 1988Tammy

I finally fixed mine. Clicked Settings icon on the annoying iTunes pop-up message that said it was downloading from OneDrive. Once it opened, I clicked back to go up a level (to see a higher level view of the settings there), scrolled down slightly and clicked a switch that was “on” for Automatic Downloads. It all happened so fast, I can’t remember what everything was called and can’t pull it back up again to provide the proper names of everything. I hope this helps someone!

iTunes is downloading from OneDrive, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.