Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod disconnects or stops playing music from itunes randomly

Homepod was just updated to 13.4. I did NOT notice this issue previously but others are reporting the exact same issue on other forums.

The first thread details the issue perfectly.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/homepod-stops-playing-music-from-itunes-windows.2215843/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/eq4lg3/itunes_and_homepod_constantly_disconnect/

When using the homepod as a speaker from iTunes it will randomly stop playing music and display a dash like this "-" next to it. If I deselect it and click it again it will start playing sound again. If I stop the track and play again, it will start playing again.

Playing from windows 10 PC, fully updated.

iTunes 12.10.4.2

Homepod 13.4

The issue seems to happen less when I use the homepod as the only device checked to play music to. If i check other devices, like the apple TV and computer itself to play as well the issue happens more often. My WiFi is solid with no deadspots, I've done a speed test and poor mans site survey with my iPhone to test speeds with no issues. Also to rule out WiFi as the issue i can play from my iPhone to the homepod and apple TV without the problem.

I suspect its an iTunes issue or possibly the homepod struggling to stay in sync with iTunes. Please read the other threads before suggesting solutions already purposed as I've tried them all.

This clearly seems like a bug but I don't know where to submit bug reports for the homepod.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 7:34 PM

Similar questions

103 replies

May 7, 2020 5:38 PM in response to Inmate_0801

Ok a few things: the music cutting out is a connection issue, it doesn’t matter how fast your speed is or if other devices are working just fine. Homepod does not work well with Dual Bands Wifi. If you have that you need to disable the 5G and just use the lower speed and match that up with your device (the one you set it up with)

• Or you can try rebooting your wifi modem.

• Homepod needs a software update to 13.4 now - see if you can update it.
  • Update your device or iPhone as well.

Not being a one to control it on your device, is the music App. You’re not using the iTunes app for this

This also might be the network not working on your iPhone for this. (rebooting the wifi and/or resetting network settings can usually resolve this issue)

• Some things you can try:

If the Music App isn’t responding 

Make sure your iOS software is up to date

May 7, 2020 4:43 PM in response to Kwoodhouse

I have had this same issue with iTunes and airplay to Homepod. 28 seconds into a track the sound stops followed by the "-" symbol next to the speaker in the list of connected devices. The sound comes back about 8 seconds from the end of the track and goes into the next song just to repeat the same. This does not happen 100% of the time but it is very common and the timing is always the same. You'll see in the attached picture all other Airplay devices are humming along. Only the office speaker has the "-" which is my Homepod. If I click on the minus, the sound comes back only to go back out 28 seconds into another song.

I have no bandwidth issues (Link rate is 866 Mbps to the Homepod). I've reset the homepod multiple times, restarted router, computer, etc. I've even flashed the bios on the off chance that something weird was going on there. The issue persisted.

I decided to try a brand new Homepod. It was on version 11.2.5 out of the box. After set up, I did not update it. Guess what...it played perfectly for over an hour. VICTORY! .......Unfortunately, it would not stay connected to the network when it was idle. I had to unplug it then plug it back in to get it to reconnect. I decided to update to 13.3.1 in hopes of correcting the connectivity issue and everything working fine with playback.

After updating, two tracks into playing on 13.3.1, the infamous 28 second "-" symbol returned. The issue is with 13.3.1 (or a prior release).

My setup is iTunes streaming from PC to multiple Airplay compatible devices with an Orbi mesh network. Music is a mix of my own library as well as Apple Music. The music type playing has no bearing on the issue. I've recreated the issue both ways. The only common factor is 13.3.1.

It's also important to note that I can play from my phone to the speaker with no issue. The problem here is that the speaker "takes over" the playlist. A bit after starting to play, I can no longer skip or control from iTunes on my phone. I have to open the Home app to control the playback. This is with hand off to Homepod disabled. This is one issue I've not wasted time troubleshooting but thought I'd mention it.

I spent a LONNNNG time with Apple support and not only did they have me recreate the issue for them on Homepod they had me experience the same issue on airplay through AppleTV. They acknowledge there's an issue and they are aware. Let's hope for a resolution soon. Best advice is to contact them and go through the motions so they can gather data on this issue.

Aug 29, 2020 9:56 PM in response to Kwoodhouse

So no dice on turning off the homepod features, however I have found a pattern in the packet capture correlated with the failure. I no longer think this is an issue with the homepod, but a problem solely with iTunes.

Every 30 seconds, iTunes sends a TCP message to homepod port 7000 with an OPTIONS message that provides cseq number, user agent, instance ID, and a remote ID. Between these messages, the homepod will send a TCP Keep-Alive to my PC from port 7000 every 6 seconds. After 4 of these, iTunes sends the options message.

When the issue occurs, that 30 second interval TCP options message does not get sent. That's why the other poster was encountering the issue at the 28 second mark each time. That is the refresh interval for this options message.

We can see in the packet capture, the TCP fin message comes as soon as the 30 second interval passes without the options message being sent from iTunes:

This leads me to believe that it might be possible to spoof this options message to the homepod using a 3rd party tool, therefore keeping the stream alive even when itunes fails to send the options message itself. That will be my next task.

Aug 13, 2020 1:11 PM in response to svenfrommünchen

Well this is interesting. I always assumed it was iTunes being poorly made for windows but if its happening with a Mac as well that's clearly an overall iTunes issue and not just windows related.

Either way, I think everyone on this thread has offered some amazing feedback. Thank you all for the contributions. I started this because iTunes was driving me crazy with the constant disconnects and I really wanted to enjoy my homepod with music on my windows computer. I don't have Apple music and in my head this drove me crazy because I felt like it was Apple's way of driving me to get an Apple Music subscription.

Clearly I'm not the only one with the problem and its also clear this is a software bug with iTunes and not some wireless router issue. Everyone please keep reporting the issue to Apple with the feedback option on the web link below. I think the only way to get attention on this and get it fixed is to have many people report the same problem.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/homepod.html

Aug 29, 2020 8:01 PM in response to Kwoodhouse

What's up ya'll. So I just opened a case with Apple on this issue. Been bugging me for months and I'm just now starting to troubleshoot in earnest. When I perform a wireshark capture on my PC while airplaying from itunes to homepod, I notice I Get a TCP FIN from port 7000 on the homepod back to my PC right as the audio stops. iTunes continues to send the UDP audio stream to the homepod for some time however, and is then flooded with ICMP destination port unreachable messages. Eventually the homepod will send a TCP Reset from port 7000 and that's when itunes stops.

Since this does not happen with my iphone airplaying to the homepod(and I mean local airplay from my phone to homepod, not handoff). I am getting the impression this is a bug in the airplay server on the homepod and it is only exposed due to the way airplay is implemented in itunes. This is backed up by the success some people have had with using airfoil instead of itunes. Perhaps if we could compare the control data from airfoil vs itunes we can identify the discrepancy and isolate the specific cause of the failure.

Regardless of all that, I want it to work with itunes, so my next step is going to be disabling everything possible on the homepod to see if that helps.

Aug 31, 2020 11:33 AM in response to DougDuey

Hey guys, so I don't seem to have the skills to spoof the options packets. But I did find a workaround that suffices for homepod if you've a spare PC(or a virtual machine) to run iTunes, might work for apple tv but haven't tried that.

Basically all you need to do is change the volume by 1% every 25 seconds. This sends traffic on that port 7000 therefore keeping the TCP stream alive regardless of whether or not iTunes sends the OPTIONS message like it's supposed to.

I scripted this task with autohotkey on a spare laptop. I feel like there's a better way to do it so you could run it on your main PC in the background but I'm not an expert on autohotkey.

Loop {

WinActivate, iTunes

MouseClickDrag, Left, 306, 20, 307, 20

Sleep, 25000

WinActivate, iTunes

MouseClickDrag, Left, 307, 20, 306, 20

Sleep, 25000

}

All this does is move the volume slider in itunes by one pixel to the right, waits 25 seconds, then moves the slider to the left by one pixel, repeat ad infinitum.

Now my packet capture looks like this:

This never gives it the chance to close that TCP connection on port 7000, and 1% volume change isn't enough for me to even hear.

Doug, I am guessing that the older versions of the homepod or apple TV software had a longer timeout than 30 seconds and that's why the issue isn't present there. So much for whole Apple ecosystem "all our stuff works well together!" idea. Though I guess iTunes on windows has always been the black sheep of Apple software.

I'm supposed to hear back from apple today on my case, but I have zero faith that they'll fix it any time soon.... It's been broken for months so it's clearly not a high priority for them.

May 8, 2020 11:33 AM in response to Vancouver22

So for the record, Apple support recommends 5G. Reboot was done multiple times. Homepod was updated to 13.4 the day it was released and Apple support contacted me to see if anything change with functionality...it did not.

The issue I have has nothing to do with playing from mobile devices. It's when I attempt to airplay from my PC via the iTunes application. It's a confirmed issue with Apple and the issue occurs with both Homepod and AppleTV.

May 8, 2020 2:06 PM in response to Vancouver22

Guys lets remove wireless from the discussion completely. This issue occurs with Apple TV as well when the computer and Apple TV are both hard wired. Wireless is completely removed from the equation.

Also as people have mentioned the issue does not occur when playing from an iPhone to apple TV and homepod. Only when playing from windows PC using iTunes.

In my opinion this is an iTunes issue. Not sure if it's just windows or also happens with Mac. I'm guessing its just the windows version and Apple wont fix it for awhile because they could care less about windows version of iTunes.

May 13, 2020 8:08 PM in response to Inmate_0801

I think I found the issue. I have received my new HomePod

from Best Buy today. It came with 11.2.5 (I tested without updating to 13.4).

So far, I have been able to play music for over 45 minutes without it

disconnecting and showing the infamous "-". In addition, I downgraded

my Apple TV4 to 10.2.2. I have been able to Airplay music with no disconnects

on HomePod and Apple TV. My conclusion is there is an issue with the IOS

software and not iTunes. Hopefully, the next update resolves the issue. If

enough of us complain we have a better chance of them fixing the issue. Apple

HELP!

May 17, 2020 9:40 AM in response to DougDuey

Well, it's complicated. Multiple systems. Not iTunes under Windows, but iTunes on two old legacy iMacs and Music on one newer iMac and two MacBooks Pro. Air Play functions far more reliably on all of those systems, once I ditched the 5GHz band on everything. My 2.4 GHz band is very crowded, but even so everything is working better.

Homepod disconnects or stops playing music from itunes randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.