Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External disk ssd for iPad Air 2019

Hi, I want to buy an external ssd disk for my iPad. Can somebody tell me what is the best choise? I bought ssd m2 type from crucial company via box, but my iPad can’t looking for it. Do you have sime idea? Thanx, Petr PS: I have original apple reduction camera 3 with usb.

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 3:40 AM

You can look at the Samsung T5 portable SSDs.

These work with iPads running iPadOS.

In addition, You need to purchase the actual, genuine Apple Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter, from Apple, and plug that

adapter into external power using your iPad charge cable and Apple power/charging block!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

You NEED TO PURCHASE THIS EXACT genuine Apple adapter above!!!

This is THE ONLY adapter that works!

Cheaper ( cheap in price and quality ) third party, “knockoff” adapters WILL NOT WORK!!!!

With Lightning connector equipped iPads, you need this adapter as it has a Lightning connector power connection

to power both the iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSDs.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the,necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives or other types of drives!

YOU NEED TO CONNECT AN EXTERNAL POWER SOUCE TO THIS ADAPTER for that adapter to work with ANY externally connected drive!!! Even to get any standard USB flash memory drives to work on older Lightning connector equipped iPads.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this.

In addition the external drive needs to be formatted, by a Mac, into one of these file/data formats

APFS

FAT32

exFAT

Drives formatted in NTFS will NOT work with iPadOS.

Good Luck to You!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 3:40 AM in response to petr297

You can look at the Samsung T5 portable SSDs.

These work with iPads running iPadOS.

In addition, You need to purchase the actual, genuine Apple Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter, from Apple, and plug that

adapter into external power using your iPad charge cable and Apple power/charging block!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

You NEED TO PURCHASE THIS EXACT genuine Apple adapter above!!!

This is THE ONLY adapter that works!

Cheaper ( cheap in price and quality ) third party, “knockoff” adapters WILL NOT WORK!!!!

With Lightning connector equipped iPads, you need this adapter as it has a Lightning connector power connection

to power both the iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSDs.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the,necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives or other types of drives!

YOU NEED TO CONNECT AN EXTERNAL POWER SOUCE TO THIS ADAPTER for that adapter to work with ANY externally connected drive!!! Even to get any standard USB flash memory drives to work on older Lightning connector equipped iPads.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this.

In addition the external drive needs to be formatted, by a Mac, into one of these file/data formats

APFS

FAT32

exFAT

Drives formatted in NTFS will NOT work with iPadOS.

Good Luck to You!

Mar 26, 2020 6:05 AM in response to petr297

petr297 Said:

"External disk ssd for iPad Air 2019: Hi, I want to buy an external ssd disk for my iPad. Can somebody tell me what is the best choise?[...]"

-------

For Thought...

Try an External SSD Enclosure:

You could always use an External Enclosure. Lay SSD card in in the bed, connect it, read it from your iPad.

Use the Proper Adapters:

Access it from the iPad. SATA is probably the connection of the drive itself. Once inserted into the enclosure, connect it using a Lightning to USB Cable (1 m). Be Certain the SSD is Apple-Compatible. It would say so right on the box itself.

Mar 26, 2020 4:05 AM in response to petr297

All you have to do is search YouTube to find out that this is a popular SSD for iPads.

Also, for some reason, Apple states any disk formatting must be done from a Mac.

If you find your Windows PC didn't work for formatting this SSD, you may have to find a family member or friend that will help you, during this time of Co-Vid 19 isolation, that has a Mac to help you format and test this SSD on your iPad.

Best of Luck to You!

Mar 26, 2020 4:51 AM in response to petr297

Yes, formatting by a PC, to an iPadOS supported format, will not cause any problems; use of a Mac is not a prerequisite. A PC or Mac is required for formatting operations because iPadOS cannot itself format an external storage device.

NB: Formatting of an external drive is only necessary if the drive is not already using a supported format. External drives are typically formatted from the manufacturer, with a single partition, as FAT32 - unless they exceed 2TB capacity (this being the typical single-partition size limit for many Operating Systems).

External disk ssd for iPad Air 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.