Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Size of external SSD connected it ipad via files

I want to use an external ssd connected to iPad Pro 10.5 in (lightening connector). I have an Apple supplied powered USB connector but all I can connect is an sd card via card reader. Is there a limit on disc size and would it be improved with a newer USB C connector on the later iPads?

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 8:40 AM

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS+ with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to directly connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your charger, to both the iPad and connected device. The external charger must be rated at 12W or more.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

I hope this is helpful.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 8:40 AM in response to johnat121

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS+ with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

If your iPad Pro has a Lightning port, you will need to use an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to directly connect USB devices to the iPad. This adapter has both a USB 3.0 Type-A connector and an additional Lightning port to supply power, from your charger, to both the iPad and connected device. The external charger must be rated at 12W or more.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

I hope this is helpful.

Dec 7, 2020 8:51 AM in response to johnat121

So your problem is with an SD Card - not an SSD.

Ensure that your iPad Power Adapter is connected to the auxiliary Lightning port of the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter - as the majority of external storage devices require more power than the iPad can supply.

If using an SD Card, check that the tiny physical write-protect switch, on the edge of the SD Card itself, has not been locked when inserting the card into your SD Card Reader.

Size of external SSD connected it ipad via files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.