Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in iCloud login loop on MBPro

I no longer have access on my MBPro to mail, notes, calendar, messages. I can access all of these from an older iMac, an iPhone and an iPad.

Two days of troubleshooting, using tips from here at Apple discussions and elsewhere and i’m still in the same login loop. Now it comes up repeatedly... and at times incessantly.

email app shows no accounts

messages can not connect because of an iCloud error

notes that were stored on the Mac do not show

whats been done so far:

• tried to sign out of iCloud... not allowed because it says there is an error connecting
  • set up iCloud email account but it says I am already logged in... see above... cannot log out
  • set up new admin account, works fine with current iCloud login and password but does not show the full extent of email folders from original Mac login... this is crucial for me to get back (and no, I don’t have a recent time machine backup for this machine)
  • upgraded from Sierra to Mojave... three attempts on rural hispeed... over 12 hours to finally get a working OS install
  • reset PRAM
  • ran disk utility
  • removed MBPro in iCloud admin (browser on another machine)
  • Re-enstated MBPro to iCloud from iCloud admin (browser on another machinej
  • terminal delete reference to .me (can’t remember the exact code while writing this)
  • removed related cache files, and other suggested items in 3 different Library folders... restarted each time
  • have left MBPro in shut down for varying length of times
  • Relevant keychain items have been deleted

every time I go to iCloud in sys pref the options are all greyed out. Clicking on them brings a quick message saying it is being set up... but the option remains greyed out and unchecked.

trying to work from home, without access to crucial apps... as if there isn’t enough stress in the world today

any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

stay safe and healthy!

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 5:47 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 26, 2020 9:21 AM in response to pondball

Just went through 3 levels of Apple Support, starting with the new (to me, anyway) Apple Support app and ending up with a phone call. This was one tough cookie to solve, but I’m happy to say that I am up and running again.

👍🏼 I have to give a big shoutout to Jamie, Jarrod and Richard for their excellent assistance, the pleasant and efficient way they dealt with the problem I was having, and of course for solving the problem itself 👍🏼

❤️ It’s just one of the reasons I loved Apple products and have never strayed since my first Apple//+ back in 1981. ❤️

Mar 26, 2020 9:47 AM in response to aenw

Hi aenw

sorry to hear that, cuz, it’s not a pleasant experience.

I’ve been involved with apples and macs for some time (since 1908] and had gone through each of the strategies i listed above... and more. It got to the point where doing anything else might have meant inadvertently trashing an item that was integral to getting back to the environment o had before all **** broke loose.

are you getting the perpetual, aggravating popup menu 2 seconds after you close the popup?

Have you tried to set up a 2nd user with admin privileges. If so did you have success in that account with logging into iCloud? You use the same login and pw as with the one that currently does not work. Mine worked so I then knew it wasn’t an issue with the MBPro,. Instead it had to be a problem with the original user account.

if you can’t sign out from the iCloud pref panel and if your options in the iCloud pref panel are all greyed out, and if you also have no accounts listed in Users and Accounts... then you may be suffering the same malady that I had... and the only solution I can suggest would be to:

download the Apple Support app for a mobile device iPad or iPhone you may also have. I waited about 2 minutes for a chat line to open. I had a complete list of things I had already tried ready to paste in (saves a lot of time in chat). I went through 3 levels of support, each one very helpful, and because they had already seen what what I had done we moved through that very quickly. The last stage was a phone session and Apple remote access ... and that was the one that solved the problem.

i can’t recall every step we took so won’t even attempt to write down what we did... to do so might make things worse at your end. It went very smoothly though and in the end I am back to where I was a few days ago. I would suggest once it apparent that your iCloud access has been fixed, that you ask them to stay online for a few minutes while you test out iCloud related apps like email, iMessage, notes etc just to ,Zoe sure they are functioning again.

good luck, stay safe, stay healthy!

Stuck in iCloud login loop on MBPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.