Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access iCloud after system restore

When I tried unsuccessfully to download Catalina, my Mac wouldn't open Safari. So I did a system restore. Since the restore, my Mac isn't accessing iCloud. Notes, keychain, contacts, etc. are not syncing with my iPad or iPhone. In System Preferences>iCloud I have tried to sign out and sign in again, but it then asks me to keep a copy of iCloud data. Selecting to keep a copy has the little wheelie thingy spinning endlessly. Clicking the Stop-the-update then asked for my AppleID and password again. The wheelie thingy is spinning again so I can't sign out of iCloud. Rebooting takes me right back into the same loops. I tried removing the Mac from iCloud in my iPhone and iPad, hoping it would allow me to start over and set up iCloud from scratch on the Mac, but that did nothing. How can I fix my iCloud account?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 12:32 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 10, 2019 12:40 PM in response to woollymammoth

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try booting into the Safe Mode to see things work normally.

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Nov 10, 2019 1:17 PM in response to Eric Root

I am running Norton Anti-virus, don't know what VPN is.

I booted in Safe Mode. System Preferences>iCloud shows all the boxes unchecked. When I selected Sign Out, a window opened asking for my AppleID and password. Entered them, but after 5 minutes of the wheelie, I gave up and quit System Preferences. I tried again, but when clicking Sign Out this time, nothing happens at all. So what now?

Nov 11, 2019 8:08 AM in response to woollymammoth

I have rebooted normally and run Etrecheck. I tried to reply, but when I pasted the report into the reply, the beachball thing happened and I had to force quit Safari. This time I will try pasting the report in a second, separate reply. Again the beachball thing after pasting in the report. Trying again using Chrome rather than Safari.

Nov 11, 2019 10:41 AM in response to woollymammoth

I would uninstall Norton/Symantec. It tends to interfere with the computer's operation while providing minimal to no benefit unless you work with Windows files. Most long time posters recommend not using antivirus software or cleaning software such as CleanMyMac. Use the Developer's uninstall instructions.

You have adware installed. 

Run EtreCheck again.

In the Sidebar, click the Security button.

Locate  and remove entries under  Adware and Unsigned files.

Click the “Remove” button.

Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Can't access iCloud after system restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.