Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration of Apps

I have purchased a new 2020 16" MacBook Pro. My old one is late 2011 running High Sierra. What the best way to transfer info. I have a full back up using time machine but don't think that will transfer apps. And I can just reload my apps from the internet but one of them is from a cd and no drive on new machine.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 2:04 PM

Yes, the TM backup is precisely the best way to transfer. Just connect it to your new Mac the first time you boot it. You will be in Setup Assistant and after a few screens of info it will prompt you to Migrate. All Apple default apps will be new and the old ones will not be transferred. Third party apps will also be transferred except for those requiring a license, or limiting them to 1 installation per user.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 2:04 PM in response to gerbsone

Yes, the TM backup is precisely the best way to transfer. Just connect it to your new Mac the first time you boot it. You will be in Setup Assistant and after a few screens of info it will prompt you to Migrate. All Apple default apps will be new and the old ones will not be transferred. Third party apps will also be transferred except for those requiring a license, or limiting them to 1 installation per user.

Migration of Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.