Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering Applications to New Computer

If I have a new computer, do the old Applications that come standard on the Apple computer transfer too? I have some downloaded apps I put on my old computer that I want on my new, while the others are just duplicates of what comes standard. How does that work and is there a way for me to just transfer the ones I want/need?

MacBook Air, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 11:13 PM

You will find a copy of Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder on your new Mac, and some information about it here:

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Note that some applications on your older machine will not work on your current one, so it's possible you'll have some deleting to d after the transfer. This incompatibility is not checked before moving them, but is made visible if those items are installed in the Dock.

Migration Assistant notice shown on opening the application.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 11:13 PM in response to Bretina11

You will find a copy of Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder on your new Mac, and some information about it here:

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Note that some applications on your older machine will not work on your current one, so it's possible you'll have some deleting to d after the transfer. This incompatibility is not checked before moving them, but is made visible if those items are installed in the Dock.

Migration Assistant notice shown on opening the application.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 2, 2022 7:35 AM in response to Bretina11

The Standard Apple Applications that are installed on the New Computer do not need to be " Transferred " from the Old to the New Computer.

Chances are, the Old Computer Standard Apple Applications may not even work on the New Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Computer.

Below is IMHO

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Transfering Applications to New Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.