Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to modify "Date Added" properties in Mac OS Finder

Hello everyone,

I would like to be able to modify how Mac OS Finder sorts files when selecting "Date Added" sorting feature in Finder window.

So far, the way Mac OS Finder sorts files with "Date Added" is as follows:

[Previous 30 Days] - [last few months] - [previous year] - [two years ago] - [three years ago ...]

Just like in the screenshot below:

However, I would like to have the files sorted as follows (as an example):

[this month - year] - [previous month - year] - [two months ago - year] - [three months ago - year] - ...

Is there a way how to change it?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Best regards,

Przemek

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 3:35 AM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2020 6:14 AM in response to przemyslaw-pawelczak

This is probably something that you could only do as a software developer. There are Finder surrogate software made for the Mac with other Finder layouts:

https://www.slant.co/topics/3924/~best-mac-file-managers

Contacting the developers who do this would probably be the quickest chance to make your views available.

http://developer.apple.com/

has a free signup to become a developer yourself.

Mar 27, 2020 4:42 PM in response to przemyslaw-pawelczak

I think Date Added is maybe information is information stored in the Directory or the .DS_Store.

I have a file "Fred" in Folder "A"

I created a file system hardlink in Folder "B" which is a new directory entry for "Fred"

The original file has the 5 days ago Date Added

The new hardlink (which as far as the file system is concerned is the same file) has a Date Added of Today.

A hardlink is just a directory entry that points to the same file. Think of it like an address book. I have Mom's name and phone number in my address book, and my Sister has Mom's name and phone number in her address book, and we made the entries identical. Neither of those address book entries are Mom. Looking at the address book entries you cannot tell which one was created first. That is a hardlink, and folders are address books.

I think that the address book (the folder) has a field for when the entry was added, and that is where the "Date Added" information is coming from.

I do not know how to access this information, nor modify it.

A rude and crude approach would be to keep moving the file out of the folder and then back again. It should get the current date as the Date Added. If you do this starting with the file you want to have the oldest Date Added and end with the file you want to have the newest Date Added, that should give you your sort order. Of Course you have lost any information about what the real Date Added was, but you have a sort order.

How to modify "Date Added" properties in Mac OS Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.