Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nearly full Hard Drive after Catalina Upgrade

I upgraded to Catalina with at least 100GB of free space on my hard drive. Since updating the free space has gone down to 17GB. I tried running Time Machine but it gave an error that "2 drives had the same name, change one." I did that. See attached photo. What happened to my free space?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 7:50 AM

200 GB is not a huge amount of space these days. The upgrade to Catalina uses at least ~20GB, then you may have had apps auto-upgrade in the background to take advantage of Catalina's new features, using up even more space.

It looks like you have a lot of TV shows on your drive. How about moving a bunch of older ones to an archive disk, thereby freeing up space on your main one?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 7:50 AM in response to tarkin

200 GB is not a huge amount of space these days. The upgrade to Catalina uses at least ~20GB, then you may have had apps auto-upgrade in the background to take advantage of Catalina's new features, using up even more space.

It looks like you have a lot of TV shows on your drive. How about moving a bunch of older ones to an archive disk, thereby freeing up space on your main one?

Nearly full Hard Drive after Catalina Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.