Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install macOS from recovery after flashing question mark folder on boot.

So since Finder is terrible at locating the 2/3 of disk space "other" is taking up and all the other built in tools couldn't locate this "other" data as well. I decided to just wipe the drive, fresh install, and call it a day. I erased everything in Macintosh HD, Macintosh HD - Data, and kept what I presumed was the logical macOS Catalina partition.

That was clearly wrong as I was greeted by the folder questing itself in the most flashy manner.

Cool, cmd+R, got the spinning world, and went to reinstall macOS Sierra (Sierra, really? m'kay). It does it's thing for a few minutes and then right when it has -399 seconds remaining I get this..

An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.

I've attempted this a few times with that same error message as the result. So here's an image of the Installer Log.

Before anyone asks or suggests a solution that uses another Mac. I don't have another Mac, and I cannot get another Mac.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 11:59 PM

Welp, I was able to fix it myself.

Upon re-boot cmd+option+r until spinning world then reinstall macOS Catalina.

Similar questions

3 replies

Cannot install macOS from recovery after flashing question mark folder on boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.