Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27“ IMac 2017, folder with question mark at startup

I hard reset my iMac in recovery mode as I’m selling it and after successfully erasing the disk, I get a folder with a question mark inside when restarting the iMac. So as of right now I’m only able to access recovery mode.

here’s what I’ve tried to fix the problem:

• I went on terminal and checked if the date is correct, and it is.
  • ive tried restarting while holding down the option key to choose a different disk, but no disk option appears.
  • ive tried reinstalling macOS but I was not able to choose a disk to install it to, so I went back to disk utility and added a partition under the SSD. Then i was able to choose that disk to reinstall macos, but when the download was almost complete I get an error message

„an error occurred while preparing installation. Try running this application again“

and I have tried multiple times and get the same message.

• I went back into disk utility and ran first aid through all disks and an error was found on the HDD disk but after adding a partition, the error cleared and now I get a green check mark for all of them.
  • ive tried restarting and reinstalling the macOS multiple times and keep getting the error message and the folder with a question mark on it.

One thing I noticed is that my mac was running the newest Ventura update and the only option I now have, is to reinstall macOS Sierra. Is it possible that the new Ventura update needs to be manually deleted before being able to install this older version of macOS Sierra? I’m not sure how to do that though.

I would also appreciate if someone double checked that my disk utility looks alright or if I’ve done the formst/erase wrong and need to redo it.

any suggestions and help is appreciated.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 12:48 AM

Hi, see this

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 12:48 AM in response to Xenex_

Hi, see this

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Jan 3, 2023 11:03 PM in response to Xenex_

The machine seems like it is simply setup for a new owner. When the new owner receives the machine, they would startup in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup), install Mac OS and then they are ready to go.

The question mark on a normal startup simply means the computer cannot find a startup volume which makes sense based on your description of wiping the computer clean. It will be up to the new owner to upgrade Mac OS to Ventura after installing Mac OS, once that setup has been done and they have setup the machine the way they want, then they can upgrade to Ventura and finally, if they are migrating from another Mac they can migrate using Migration Assistant from their old Time Machine backup. If they are not migrating then obviously they would skip the migration step.

Nothing really mysterious or off based on your description of what you have done. I hope you also followed the steps in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Jan 3, 2023 11:07 PM in response to Xenex_

Hello!

It appears you've split your Fusion Drive and are attempting to reinstall macOS Sierra, which is no longer eligible to be installed (hence the error you're seeing).

Try this:

Shut down your Mac, then startup into Internet Recovery Mode (Option-Command-R) by immediately pressing and holding those keys at startup. Then, reset your Fusion Drive, following the steps for macOS Mojave and later: How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support. You cannot install just on the SSD as it is too small.

After resetting your Fusion Drive, reinstall macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support.

Jack

27“ IMac 2017, folder with question mark at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.