Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Problem

So I was recently messing with my Macbook, and I deleted a file name Untitled, which I believe was the Macintosh HD file of this Macbook Pro 2015. I was learning how to factory reset my Mac by a Youtube tutorial. I accidentally erased something in that file. Then I shut off my computer and when I rebooted it there were a flashing folder with a question mark at the end. The when I open up the Macbook and try to re-download MacOs, but everytime it said that there was an error at the end. Then the Macintosh HD stop working and it can't be bootable drive. So I decided to created a bootable USB drive. I plug in a USB then download a version of MacOs using the MacOs utility. When it finish downloading, I boot it up but I found out that when I unplug the USB, the computer can't find any file and it can't be boot up. So one day, my USB broke and so I need a solution to successfully boot up my computer without carrying a USB around and so can you please help me?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 1:38 AM

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

5A - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 1:38 AM in response to joenguyen781

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

5A - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Mar 5, 2022 3:33 AM in response to joenguyen781

joenguyen781 wrote:

I am sorry, but I currently don't have access to a Macbook or any computer, all I have is this one.

Am sorry too.

Guessing your reply is from an Apple iPhone ?

If you do not have access to any Apple Computer except the problem computer suggestion.

Restart the computer using Command + Option + r ( the three keys all at the same time ). This is Internet Recovery Mode and WILL REQUIRE and active and functioning Internet Connection. Best Results is via Ethernet Cable to Router.

A Spinning Globe will appear and take some time to Fully Load.

This computer is from 2015 and may qualify for Monterey macOS 12 but for sure Big Sur macOS 11

1 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

2 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

3 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map.

Macbook Pro Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.