Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searchupgrade keeps popping up

Hi,

I keep having this searchupgrade box keep popping on my screen. Regardless of clicking deny or allow the box just keeps popping up. I also realized that my MacBook has been running rather slowly ever since, especially if I'm going on the internet. Can anyone please help me with this. 🙏🙏

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 4:36 PM

Hello annalouise87 and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues with an app called SearchUpdate.

That app is considered to be malware and it's also likely what is slowing down your Mac.

Start by deleting the app which you should find in your Applications folder. Then, reboot the Mac in Safe Mode in order to clear caches and give yourself a good foundation.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

After a safe boot, restart the Mac again normally and test. If you are still experiencing slowness or the references to SearchUpgrade continue, then consider installing and running MalwareBytes.

Malwarebytes for Mac — Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes

There is also a good resource with tips for avoiding this kind of issue in the future.

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 4:36 PM in response to annalouis87

Hello annalouise87 and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues with an app called SearchUpdate.

That app is considered to be malware and it's also likely what is slowing down your Mac.

Start by deleting the app which you should find in your Applications folder. Then, reboot the Mac in Safe Mode in order to clear caches and give yourself a good foundation.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

After a safe boot, restart the Mac again normally and test. If you are still experiencing slowness or the references to SearchUpgrade continue, then consider installing and running MalwareBytes.

Malwarebytes for Mac — Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes

There is also a good resource with tips for avoiding this kind of issue in the future.

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Cheers.

Searchupgrade keeps popping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.