You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos on Mac locally, but NOT in the cloud?

So photos are taking up an insane amount of space on my mac. How do I delete them locally and ONLY locally? Ie I want them to remain on my other devices (iphone) and in iCloud?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 1:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 9:38 AM

If you unchecked "System preferences > AppleID > iCloud > Photos" and checked, that Photos > Preferences > iCloud has been turned off as well, you can simply delete your current Photos Library completely.

By default, the Photos Library will be in the Pictures folder in your user Home folder.

~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

The icon looks like this:

Either delete the Photos Library completely, or open the Photos.app on your Mac and delete all photos you are seeing there. But if you delete photos using the Photos.app, you have to be really sure, that iCloud Photos has been disabled.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Eli the Mighty

If you unchecked "System preferences > AppleID > iCloud > Photos" and checked, that Photos > Preferences > iCloud has been turned off as well, you can simply delete your current Photos Library completely.

By default, the Photos Library will be in the Pictures folder in your user Home folder.

~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

The icon looks like this:

Either delete the Photos Library completely, or open the Photos.app on your Mac and delete all photos you are seeing there. But if you delete photos using the Photos.app, you have to be really sure, that iCloud Photos has been disabled.

Mar 28, 2020 2:25 AM in response to Eli the Mighty

Do you want to delete all photos, or selected Photos?

If you want to remove the local copies, but still have access to the iCloud Photos Library, use "Optimize Mac Storage". This can reduce the size of the local library down to roughly 10% to 20% of the size used in iCloud.

The size will slowly get smaller, not immediately. To force an instant optimisation, you could try this procedure: How to force Photos for Mac to Optimise t… - Apple Community

But you must not delete any photos from your Mac, while the Photos Library is syncing with iCloud. The deleted photo or video will be deleted from iCloud as well and all other synced devices. iCloud Photos is not an independent external storage. The purpose is to keep the photo libraries in sync and identical on all devices. The local libraries on your devices mirror the iCloud Photos Library.

How do I delete photos on Mac locally, but NOT in the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.