Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 87W is no longer working, is it okey to use 97W adaptor for my 2017 15" Macbook?

My 87W is no longer working, is it okey to use 97W adaptor for my 2017 15" Macbook? Because on the Apple's website, they no longer selling 87W. If I use 97W adaptor, is it bad for the battery or any side effect?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Mar 28, 2020 7:13 AM in response to anand_mongol

yes, it isa always OK to use a power adapter LARGER than the spec.

The computer only draws what it needs, no more. No components will be damaged and battery life will not be changed in any way. The only difference is that a larger power adapter is not working as hard, so it may run cooler.

It can cause serious issues, maybe even damage, to RUN with a power adapter SMALLER than spec. In an emergency, you can use a smaller power adapter with the computer completely OFF (not just sleeping) to top off the charge.

My 87W is no longer working, is it okey to use 97W adaptor for my 2017 15" Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.