Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail problem in OS Catalina 10.15.4

Everything went well when I updated to 10.15.3 but having been nudged, I downloaded 10.15.4. Suddenly I am told that I can't send mail because I don't have enough storage space and that I need to delete existing e-mail to free up more space. I deleted dozens of older e-mails but there are many I want to keep (for now). It makes no sense that this has only happened since updating and I have about 900GB memory in my Mac.

Is there no way to allocate extra space specifically to Mail? Is this a hiccup waiting to be remedied? I am so frustrated as at times like now in lockdown when we need to be in touch I am unable to do so. I am sure there must be a way round what seems to be a simple thing. Please, anybody clever, help!!

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 10:29 AM

What type of mail account?

I am thinking that the problem is not space in your mac drive but allotted space in the server.

If you have an icloud account or a gmail account there are limits to how much mail is stored in the providers’ servers.

Accounts that are set as IMAP (which has been the default fir years now) keep mail on the server and sync your mac to it (and likewise in, say, an iPhone; so that you see your mail consistently on all devices).

Please clarify the type of e-mail account so we can further help.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2020 10:29 AM in response to ziggyrules

What type of mail account?

I am thinking that the problem is not space in your mac drive but allotted space in the server.

If you have an icloud account or a gmail account there are limits to how much mail is stored in the providers’ servers.

Accounts that are set as IMAP (which has been the default fir years now) keep mail on the server and sync your mac to it (and likewise in, say, an iPhone; so that you see your mail consistently on all devices).

Please clarify the type of e-mail account so we can further help.

Mar 29, 2020 2:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Although it seems odd that this has only happened since updating to OS 10.15.4 I don't know enough to understand if indeed the problem lies with the server, so I'll explain as much as I can. I'm trying to send e-mails through my BT account, I looked at 'settings' and Incoming mail is POP and outgoing SMPT. I'll attach the message which comes up each time I try to send an e-mail. Mail is still coming in, what a strange problem. I do hope it makes sense to you. Thanks for looking into it.

Mail problem in OS Catalina 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.