Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does MacBook Air's ability to connect to WiFi erode over time? Anything I can do to boost the Air's ability to connect to WiFi?

I have Macbook Air circa 2014. Over the past year or so, it is worst performing device in our home when connecting via Wifi to the internet. My wife's laptop, iPad, Kindles, phones, etc., all seem to connect and stay connected without effort, but my laptop consistently has a hard time connecting, and staying connecting.

We have (what I think is) a strong Wifi network with repeaters throughout the home, so I don't think it's an issue of the Wifi available - I think it's an issue with my laptop itself.

Does the ability of a laptop to connect to Wifi erode over time? Is there a way I can diagnosis this myself and/or boost this ability? I didn't see anything immediately obvious in System Preferences.

Thank you!

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 12:42 PM

Thank you for providing the results.

One measure of Wi-Fi signal quality is the Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR). It is calculated by using the following simple formula:

• SNR = RSSI - Noise
  • For when your MBA was near the wireless access point, SNR = -34 -(-92) = 58 dB
  • In the location that you typically use your notebook, SNR = -62 - (-92) = 30 dB

In first case, the SNR value would be considered "Excellent." Anything about 40+ dB would be in this category. In the second case, the SNR would be considered as in the "lower range of very good." Very Good would be somewhere between 25 & 40 dB. The lower SNR value also affects the overall Tx Rate of the connection. As you can see, it dropped from a maximum potential of 867 Mbps down to 264 Mbps. This drop is not necessarily a sign of "aging" hardware, but due to distance and potential Wi-Fi interference (other signals, walls, etc.) between the devices.

As far as "boosting" the signal, what needs to be taken into consideration are:

• The ability to reduce the noise. (Complete elimination is NOT possible.)
  • The wireless capability of both the wireless access point and the wireless client.

Keep in mind that Wi-Fi communication is a "two-way street." Just boosting the signal of one device does not necessarily help. As an example, imagine that you are in a crowded room listening to a speaker making a presentation. Even if they raised their voice to the level of shouting, even though you can hear them better, if you can't shout back, they may not be able to hear you. In essence both parties would need to shout to get over the noise in the room. Make sense?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 12:42 PM in response to BrooklynMac

Thank you for providing the results.

One measure of Wi-Fi signal quality is the Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR). It is calculated by using the following simple formula:

• SNR = RSSI - Noise
  • For when your MBA was near the wireless access point, SNR = -34 -(-92) = 58 dB
  • In the location that you typically use your notebook, SNR = -62 - (-92) = 30 dB

In first case, the SNR value would be considered "Excellent." Anything about 40+ dB would be in this category. In the second case, the SNR would be considered as in the "lower range of very good." Very Good would be somewhere between 25 & 40 dB. The lower SNR value also affects the overall Tx Rate of the connection. As you can see, it dropped from a maximum potential of 867 Mbps down to 264 Mbps. This drop is not necessarily a sign of "aging" hardware, but due to distance and potential Wi-Fi interference (other signals, walls, etc.) between the devices.

As far as "boosting" the signal, what needs to be taken into consideration are:

• The ability to reduce the noise. (Complete elimination is NOT possible.)
  • The wireless capability of both the wireless access point and the wireless client.

Keep in mind that Wi-Fi communication is a "two-way street." Just boosting the signal of one device does not necessarily help. As an example, imagine that you are in a crowded room listening to a speaker making a presentation. Even if they raised their voice to the level of shouting, even though you can hear them better, if you can't shout back, they may not be able to hear you. In essence both parties would need to shout to get over the noise in the room. Make sense?

Mar 30, 2020 10:13 AM in response to BrooklynMac

Hey BrooklynMac,

If I understand correctly, there seems to be trouble with the MacBook Air connecting to the WiFi. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Mar 30, 2020 11:30 AM in response to BrooklynMac

In addition to Joseph_S's excellent comments, please post a screen shot of the following Wi-Fi drop-down. Note that you will need to hold down the option key before clicking on the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar to see them.

If you're not successful in obtaining the screen shot, just note and post back the following values:

• Security =
  • Channel =
  • RSSI =
  • Noise =
  • Tx Rate =
  • PHY Mode =
  • MCS Index =

Please take these measurements at:

1. Near the wireless access point, and
  2. Where you normally use your notebook.

Mar 31, 2020 11:56 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks, Tesserax.

Here are the measurements with the laptop next to the router:

• Security = WPA2 Personal
  • Channel = 149 (5 GHz, 80 MHz)
  • RSSI = -34 dBm
  • Noise = -92 dBm
  • Tx Rate = 867 Mbps
  • PHY Mode = 802.11ac
  • MCS Index = 9

Here are the measurements where the laptop is normally used:

• Security = WPA2 Personal
  • Channel = 149 (5 GHz, 80 MHz)
  • RSSI = -62 dBm
  • Noise = -92 dBm
  • Tx Rate = 264 Mbps
  • PHY Mode = 802.11ac
  • MCS Index = 6

Does MacBook Air's ability to connect to WiFi erode over time? Anything I can do to boost the Air's ability to connect to WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.