Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS permanently deletes everything even when dragging files into trash

I'm on MacOS Catlaina, and this issue has been going on for a while now. I'm not holding any key when dragging files to trash can or pressing delete. Files are always prompted for permanent delete.

Per trouble shooting on another thread I created another account, and the issue doesn't exist in the new account. However I don't want to start the new account, how can I fix it with the existing account?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 1:57 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 1, 2020 4:44 PM in response to damonix

Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder would have been my suggestion too but I understand it didn't work. The next step would be to reinstall macOS as Barney-15E quite properly suggests.

Reinstalling macOS is more conservative than what I have to suggest presently, but assuming even that doesn't work, proceed.

First, just restart your Mac in the usual manner as though you haven't already tried that a few dozen times already. Then:

Go to the Finder–click anywhere on your Mac's desktop, and choose File > New Folder.

If a folder appears on your Desktop then continue reading. If not, then stop reading and ask for further instructions.

Open Terminal–it is in your Utilities folder and looks like this

You can find Terminal by using the Finder's Go menu and choosing Utilities, then double-click the Terminal icon.

Copy (drag or triple-click to select the entire line) and Pastedo not type—the following commands into the Terminal window, each one followed by the Return or Enter key:

mkdir ~/.Trash

If you get the message "File exists" you can ignore it.

Next:

Copy and Paste the following line, followed by the Return key:

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

This time Terminal will ask for your Admin password—the same one you use when you log in to your Mac. Type it and then press the Return key. What you type will not appear, not even with •••• characters.

Next:

Copy and Paste the following:

chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

To summarize the above you will be doing this (you'll be typing the entries following my name):

Last login: Wed Apr 1 16:21:53 on ttys000
Johns-iMac:~ john$ mkdir ~/.Trash
mkdir: /Users/john/.Trash: File exists
Johns-iMac:~ john$ sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash
Password:    <this is where you type your password and press Return>
Johns-iMac:~ john$ chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash
Johns-iMac:~ john$

Then, quit the Terminal app.

Drag the empty folder you just created to the Trash, confirm that it actually appears in the Trash, and that you can empty the Trash without needing anything else such as your password.

----

Try the above, but if all else fails you'll probably need to Contact Support. Beware that yours is certainly a Permissions-related concern, and in the past I have managed to do things with Permissions (out of morbid curiosity) that Apple's engineers told me were not possible. Having done them anyway, they proved equally impossible to fix. The solution was a nuke / pave / restore from Time Machine backup, so that ought to drive home the point that you need to create that backup before doing anything.

Needless to say, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" junk, anything at all in that broad category of useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do. In the past products like that have been known to mess up Permissions in the same "impossible" and undoable manner.

Apr 2, 2020 4:46 PM in response to damonix

If you're ok with that, sure. Make sure everything is working to your satisfaction before deleting the original Admin account.

I have no idea how that problem occurs, I just know that you're not the first one to have it. I have no explanation for it.

For what it's worth I am certain the instructions I posted work. They take only a minute or two. They can't possibly cause any harm, but since I don't know how the problem came to be it's not really possible for me to duplicate it.

Mac OS permanently deletes everything even when dragging files into trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.