Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freeze on login screen. Macbook Pro 13, late 2013, Maverick

Hi.

Since a few days I have huge problems regarding my MacBook Pro.

It all began when my Mac froze on the login screen after opening it, either during typing the password or after a while (no more mouse movement) without any action. I restarted it using the power switch. What I have tried since:

• Restart in safe mode - - > works, always.
  • Restart normally - - -> freeze again.
  • Reset all sorts of nvram and such - - > freeze again.
  • Try to avoid TouchPad and keyboard using external device - - > freeze.
  • Delete whole partition (with control r boot) and install new, recover latest time machine backup - - > worked for one day, now freezes again.
  • Delete again whole partition and install from scratch - - > got freeze during typing in wifi password.

Are there any options left? I don't know if I can get any sort of external support / repair during Covit 19...

Any suggestions? Any logs I can inspect?

Best regards

Michael

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 3:38 PM

9 replies

Mar 30, 2020 1:21 AM in response to webwude

First of all thank you for your quick reply. Still the same - only safe mode working, as soon as I boot up normally I end up at the login screen with a freeze (either when I try to log in or after waiting a while).

Here the requested log after just installing Maverick and installing the latest updates (all in safe mode) - I don't use any backup so far.

Mar 30, 2020 8:42 AM in response to webwude

webwude wrote:

First of all thank you for your quick reply. Still the same - only safe mode working, as soon as I boot up normally I end up at the login screen with a freeze (either when I try to log in or after waiting a while).

This login freeze occurs with a clean install as well without migrating or restoring from a backup?

Run DriveDX and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon. See if you can run the SSD's internal selftest using DriveDX.

See if you can download and create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer. See if you can upgrade the OS on this laptop. I'm hoping it will upgrade the system firmware in the process. You may want to check the BootROM version before and after upgrading to macOS 10.11. You can do this using the System Profiler which you can access by Option-clicking the Apple menu and selecting the first item on the menu. The information will be shown on the right pane.

Provide the DriveDX report first just in case the SSD has an issue.

Mar 30, 2020 11:10 PM in response to webwude

Did a short self test (full is not available for free) - no errors.

See here.

I will try the OS upgrade procedure. System stats before:

Hardware-Übersicht:

Modellname: MacBook Pro

Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookPro11,1

Prozessortyp: Intel Core i5

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,6 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 2

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading Technologie: Aktiviert

Speicher: 16 GB

Boot-ROM-Version: 159.0.0.0.0

Mar 31, 2020 1:57 AM in response to HWTech

I tried installing El Capitan.

During installation process when typing in WiFi password, freeze again. Reboot with shift pressed (safe mode) I could finalize the installation. Back on normal reboot freeze when trying to log in (either already when clicking the icon or latest when typing in the password) - back in safe mode it "works" - at least I can log in.

BootROM Version stayed the same during the process - 159.0.0.0.0

Freeze on login screen. Macbook Pro 13, late 2013, Maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.