Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My MacBook Air is frozen on the login page

My MacAir is frozen on the login page. The status bar goes halfway and then stops. I restarted, (cannot start in safe mode), tried to repair in disk utility, tried checking the RAM, ensured that there is no diskspace issue - nothing works. Help!! It's been like this for hours!

How can I get my Mac out of this frozen mode?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 19, 2023 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 9:46 AM

How did you attempt to start in safe mode? If you don't catch it at the exact right time, you'll miss the window.

Press and hold the power key for at least 10 seconds to shut down. Than attempt safe mode several times if needed.

Not being able to go into safe mode is unusual as it's a fallback/recovery type evolution and generally faultless.

This is old but might be helpful: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7200250

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 9:46 AM in response to SimAbi

How did you attempt to start in safe mode? If you don't catch it at the exact right time, you'll miss the window.

Press and hold the power key for at least 10 seconds to shut down. Than attempt safe mode several times if needed.

Not being able to go into safe mode is unusual as it's a fallback/recovery type evolution and generally faultless.

This is old but might be helpful: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7200250

May 19, 2023 2:43 PM in response to ku4hx

Thanks for responding. Not sure why it wouldn’t start in safe mode. In the end I went to the genius bar. They also tried & no luck. No problems with the hardware or storage space. Couldn’t reload the IOS either from internet or another Mac. They reset it😥😥😥 I’m now updating. Lost everything…… Backup backup backup

My MacBook Air is frozen on the login page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.