Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crashes while launching Zwift

My MacBook has been crashing when I try to load Zwift. As the program loads, the screen glitches and the computer freezes. Sometimes it will restart on its own but other times I have to press the power button to reboot. I thought this issue was related to the Zwift program but it happened again recently while trying to scan photos. It has also happened in Safari. This laptop has been very reliable up until lately. It’s an early 2015 MacBook, 12-inch, Catalina 10.15.4.

Sometimes, while restarting, the computer will present a dialog that says something like "Your computer is restarting. If you'd like it to restart and open the same programs that were running before press okay otherwise do nothing and it will restart in 30 seconds." If I press okay, it's likely that the computer will crash again once restarted. If I press "cancel" the computer will start up normally.

Could a stuck key cause this? I've recently noticed that my right shift key is sticking.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:16 PM

Similar questions

17 replies

Apr 13, 2020 5:13 PM in response to mickmcc

Well, I would for a test, might try this for a test also...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Apr 20, 2020 3:24 PM in response to mickmcc

Catalina certainly has more problems than I want.

Making the new location doesn't need anything done, it should just work, but it's easy to switch Locations at the top of Sys Prefs>Network.

Do you have a Time Machine backup to Restore to/from?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/revert-to-a-previous-macos-version-mh15216/mac

If not…

https://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macos

Mar 29, 2020 6:17 PM in response to mickmcc

Hmmm,

See if you can get a report from this...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Apr 1, 2020 7:46 AM in response to mickmcc

I'd uninstall Sophos & Antivirus One.app per their directions.

Then restart...

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Apr 2, 2020 3:02 PM in response to BDAqua

I uninstalled Sophos and Antivirus One but the problem persists.

The entrecheck report says that a major issue is a runaway process. It reports the following:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 100.59 % (?)

trustd 33.02 % (Apple)

EtreCheck 10.65 % (App Store)

CoreServicesUIAgent 1.39 % (Apple)

sharingd 0.13 % (Apple)

How do I determine what is the runaway process? I suspect heat is an issue: I used the computer for almost an hour in Firefox reading email when it started glitching/freezing. Each time I restarted it would freeze immediately. The underside was hot. After the last freeze I sat it down upside down to cool faster and started it up after 15 minutes.

i don’t see where the entrecheck report has temperature. I don’t think the 12-inch MacBook has a fan.

Apr 10, 2020 11:45 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes it will crash while using other applications. With Zwift, it's more like clock work and on que.

Just installed the new OS update this morning, restarted and tried Zwift again . . . it crashed on que again.

GPU PECI = 42

CPU Core 1 = 42

CPU Core 2 = 42

CPU Proximity = 40

CPU PECI = 40

When I started typing in these temps they were in the upper 40s, low 50s, but each steadily dropped down to high 30s, low 40s.

Apr 13, 2020 5:00 PM in response to BDAqua

The crashes continue. It will definitely crash when I try to use Zwift. It will also crash when I try to run the Entrecheck application. It's a bit unpredictable when using a browser. It's working now but my experience is that it may crash at any time.

Activity monitor does not show anything unusual.

I did uninstall Zwift and reinstall it a few weeks back but nothing changed. I did not uninstall Dashlane. Are you recommending that I uninstall these applications?

Apr 20, 2020 1:03 PM in response to BDAqua

I did uninstall and reinstall Zwift. The computer crashed on cue after trying to run Zwift.

I also uninstalled Dashlane and tried running Zwift again. It crashed again.

I've reinstalled Dashlane.

I've followed your directions above to create a new network location. What do I do afterwards?

I read postings here regarding problems with Catalina and the issues seem similar to mine. Do you think that is the problem?

Lastly, if you also believe that OS Catalina is the root of my problem, can you recommend a procedure for going back to Mojave? Unfortunately, I do not have a time machine backup.

May 6, 2020 12:22 PM in response to BDAqua

I tried to use my laptop this morning. First time since I sent the response above and it took about an hour before it would boot up without crashing. I was only trying to see how many files I have that need to be recovered. I left the computer as I was moving files that I want to save over to icloud.

But the symptoms are generally the same if not a little worse. It used to be only an issue with Zwift but now I can't get past login. The computer freezes while logging in or immediately after. I tried various log in key combinations to do hardware diagnostics, reset NVRAM and SMC(?), and nothing seem to work. I'm going to try to reinstall Mojave but that looks to be difficult. I do not have a time machine back up. I'm seriously disappointed that my computer is effectively useless because of a software update.

Crashes while launching Zwift

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.