My MacBook Pro crashes randomly

Hi guys,

My Mac at times randomly would freeze, not respond and suddenly jump to the sign in screen and once I sign back in all the apps have been closed and browser tabs erased. This tend to happen when I have a lot of chrome tabs open in the background or lot of apps working in the background. Is it possible that's the reason, as in the RAM gets overloaded or something...Cause I'm taking a massive toll because of this.

Thanks in advance

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 14, 2023 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 8:22 PM

chenuka Said:

"Mac crashes randomly: Hi guys, My Mac at times randomly would freeze, not respond and suddenly jump to the sign in screen and once I sign back in all the apps have been closed and browser tabs erased. This tend to happen when I have a lot of chrome tabs open in the background or lot of apps working in the background. Is it possible that's the reason, as in the RAM gets overloaded or something...Cause I'm taking a massive toll because of this. Thanks in advance"

-------

Troubleshooting a Crashing Mac:

A. RAM Consumption being the Culprit:

As for Chrome, this app may consuming lost of RAM. So, view the Activity Monitorseeing what is consuming the most of it, and close whatever it may be. More on Activity MonitorActivity Monitor User Guide - Apple Support.  See my reply to this post: News Streaming Sites Consuming Lots of RAM ( >4GB) - User Tip

B. Create New User:

For temporary use, create a new Administrator. See what happens when you log in to it. Do you still get this issue? If not, then is it a misconfiguration in the current user. If so, then you'd likely have to resinstall the macOS.

C. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple SupportImportant: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

D. A Bug in the Update:

It might be a bug in the update. Apple might come out with a fix, but they'll only know of this if it is reported.

E. Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Report this to AppleApple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback Apple receives on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in upcoming updates.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when this all began, and how you have troubleshot it thus far. Include the URL to this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 8:22 PM in response to chenuka

chenuka Said:

"Mac crashes randomly: Hi guys, My Mac at times randomly would freeze, not respond and suddenly jump to the sign in screen and once I sign back in all the apps have been closed and browser tabs erased. This tend to happen when I have a lot of chrome tabs open in the background or lot of apps working in the background. Is it possible that's the reason, as in the RAM gets overloaded or something...Cause I'm taking a massive toll because of this. Thanks in advance"

-------

Troubleshooting a Crashing Mac:

A. RAM Consumption being the Culprit:

As for Chrome, this app may consuming lost of RAM. So, view the Activity Monitorseeing what is consuming the most of it, and close whatever it may be. More on Activity MonitorActivity Monitor User Guide - Apple Support.  See my reply to this post: News Streaming Sites Consuming Lots of RAM ( >4GB) - User Tip

B. Create New User:

For temporary use, create a new Administrator. See what happens when you log in to it. Do you still get this issue? If not, then is it a misconfiguration in the current user. If so, then you'd likely have to resinstall the macOS.

C. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple SupportImportant: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

D. A Bug in the Update:

It might be a bug in the update. Apple might come out with a fix, but they'll only know of this if it is reported.

E. Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Report this to AppleApple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback Apple receives on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in upcoming updates.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when this all began, and how you have troubleshot it thus far. Include the URL to this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

May 14, 2023 11:40 PM in response to chenuka

Yes, it is possible that your Mac's performance issues, freezing, and sudden jumps to the sign-in screen are related to high resource usage, particularly with a large number of Chrome tabs and background apps running. When your system's RAM becomes overloaded, it can lead to sluggish performance, unresponsive behavior, and even system crashes.

Having numerous Chrome tabs open simultaneously can consume a significant amount of memory, especially if those tabs contain complex web content. Additionally, running multiple resource-intensive applications in the background can further strain your Mac's resources, causing it to struggle and eventually freeze.

To mitigate this issue and improve your Mac's performance, you can try the following steps:

1. Reduce the number of open Chrome tabs: Consider closing unnecessary tabs or using bookmarking to save them for later.

2. Check your Activity Monitor: Open the Activity Monitor utility (found in the Utilities folder within your Applications folder) to monitor resource usage. Identify any resource-intensive processes or apps and consider quitting or uninstalling them if they are not essential.

3. Update your software: Ensure that your operating system, Chrome browser, and other applications are up to date. Developers often release updates that address performance issues and bugs.

4. Increase your RAM: If your Mac has limited RAM and you frequently encounter performance problems, consider upgrading your RAM to a higher capacity. This can provide more headroom for running multiple applications simultaneously.

5. Clear caches: Over time, temporary files and caches can accumulate on your system, taking up valuable space and potentially impacting performance. Use cleaning tools or manually delete caches to free up disk space.

6. Remove unwanted files: Try removing unwanted & duplicate files to increase storage space. You can try data erasure tools like BitRaser File Eraser to remove unwanted files & folders from your device.

7. Restart your Mac regularly: Restarting your computer can help clear out temporary files, refresh system processes, and alleviate memory issues.

If you continue to experience problems despite trying these steps, it may be worth consulting with Apple Support or visiting an authorized service provider to diagnose any potential hardware or software issues specific to your Mac model.

My MacBook Pro crashes randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.