Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store application does not launch

Greetings,

I am curious if others have experienced this: my wife's MacBook Air recently finished with an update to Catalina. Ran first aid/permissions repair in Recovery mode and made sure all was complete, which it appears to be. It has one obvious problem - the App Store application refuses to launch - all it shows is a big blank screen (black - she is in dark mode) and the spinning beach ball - I have to force quit every time. Trashing temps and preferences does not provide a fix. Booting into safe mode (does Catalina still do that?) also does nothing.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you for reading.

DLC

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 8:24 PM

First please review If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services. Don't overlook anything. For example, correct date and time is important.

If none of that helps all I can suggest is reinstalling macOS, which is harmless in itself, but before you do that try just applying this standalone "Combo" update: MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.

Back up her Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 8:24 PM in response to dncollins

First please review If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services. Don't overlook anything. For example, correct date and time is important.

If none of that helps all I can suggest is reinstalling macOS, which is harmless in itself, but before you do that try just applying this standalone "Combo" update: MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.

Back up her Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Mar 30, 2020 3:06 PM in response to dncollins

dncollins Said:

"App Store application does not launch[...]: It has one obvious problem - the App Store application refuses to launch - all it shows is a big blank screen (black - she is in dark mode) and the spinning beach ball - I have to force quit every time. [...]"

-------

Try This:

It seems lots is going on in the background, and that seems what is likely causing this. So some thoughts to try...

• Reset your SMC and your NVRAM: Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for power) become manipulated, in the technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

• View Login Items: Go To: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click your Username > Login ItemsRid of Items that are Not Needed

• Close Non-Responding Programs: Go To: Finder Menu > Force Quit... > Select An Item Open that is "Not Responding"

Apr 5, 2020 10:40 AM in response to dncollins

Greetings all,

I finally got the Mrs,. to relinquish her MacBook Air long enough to try out all of the suggestions tottery in the hopes of resurrecting her App Store application. After all of them, even trying the Combo Update and the actual Command-Restore -> Reinstall MacOS option, the App Store still refuses to mount, revealing nothing more than a blank screen and a spinning beach ball.

So it is off to Apple Support to see what they say (was hoping to find a solution w/o using that source, but oh well).

Thanks all for your insight,

Regards,

DLC

App Store application does not launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.