Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install Mac OSX El Capitan/Sierra

I have a Mac Pro late 2011. I wanted to do a clean install of El Capitan. With the original HDD, I tried installing a couple of times with a bootable USB, but it never finishes loading the disk utility. So I swapped it with a working HDD from my windows laptop, but still same problem. The Mac loads from bootable usb drive, gives me the option of install El Capitan. Once I click install, it starts a progress bar, after 5 minutes, the screen becomes white and then shut down. I’ve tried with multiple OS versions, like El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra. But none of them are going through. Please advise if I’m doing something wrong here?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 11:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 8:00 PM

One more thing. I’ve even tried internet recovery, but the same result. White screen at the end of loading after I enter my Wifi password. Attaching screenshot for your reference. As of this posting, Internet recovery also stuck at white screen and not doing anything.

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 31, 2020 9:39 PM in response to Macuserbd1982

Hello..

After failed attempts at usb installer, internet recovery and bootable Ubuntu, I thought I’ll try something else.

So I opened the physical hard disc from my Mac and plugged it in as an external HDD on my wife’s MacBook and installed OS X El Capitan on it.

To test if it works, I booted from this drive to the other Mac and it worked fine, just as the Ubuntu bootable did.

Then I plugged in the external HDD to my MacBook and tried to boot from it. Again it shows the progress bar with Apple logo. After going halfway through it, a weird multi coloured stripe shows up and the computer shuts down. I’m attaching screenshots for your reference. Please advise what this could be? Thanks

Mar 30, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Macuserbd1982

Did you first erase the drive properly? You need to use Disk Utility while booted to the USB installer to erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

Maybe the USB stick used for the installer is bad or not compatible with the Mac. Macs can be very picky about the USB sticks used for booting and the quality of USB sticks is extremely poor.

Are you sure both hard drives are good? An OS install can reveal some physical drive failures even if the drive appears Ok under normal use conditions.

If you have a 15" or 17" model, then you could possibly be encountering a GPU failure common to the 15" & 17" models.

Mar 30, 2020 6:13 PM in response to HWTech

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I’m not being able to go up to disk utilities. When I click install El Capitan, it goes half way through the progress bar, and then the white screen comes and then shut down. Please check the pictures where I’ve tried to show how far I can go.

Regarding hard disk, I’m pretty sure it’s alright as it’s taken from my windows laptop which was running perfectly. Also, the hard disk that was present in this Mac is now in the windows laptop, and that is also running perfectly. So I’m assuming both hard disks are fine.

Regarding usb stick, I’ve tried with 3 different ones and all are doing the same thing. Also I’ve tried 3 different versions of the OS, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra, as that’s the latest my Mac is compatible with. But all OS versions and all USB sticks are behaving the same way.

Mar 31, 2020 10:28 AM in response to Macuserbd1982

The GPU has a hardware issue and it is fairly common. Normally you can use gfxCardStatus app to force the laptop to use the Intel GPU, but if you cannot boot into macOS or macOS Safe Mode, then you will need to follow the instructions for using Single User Mode (hold Command + S just after the startup chime) or a Linux boot disc to make the changes to the laptop.

Single user mode will probably be the easiest & safest method.

Contains links and information that may be useful:

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/295805

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/285896

Mar 31, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Macuserbd1982

Hello.

As per your suggestion, I made a bootable usb with Ubuntu on it. Tried to boot from it on my MacBook, but again failed. It’s stuck on a black screen after I select option 1 (try Ubuntu without installing); also stuck on black screen when I select option 2 ( install Ubuntu).

Just to rule out a faulty usb drive, I tried it on my wife’s MacBook Pro, and its booting from the same usb just fine.

So now to conclude, even usb bootable Ubuntu is not being able to load on my MacBook Pro. Now I’m really confused about what the problem is. Thanks

Clean install Mac OSX El Capitan/Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.