Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule on a different machine - no space

I am using a time capsule which I have erased the data on for a different machine. I have used disk utility to erase teh data but it is only showing 265GB of free space on a 3 TB drive. The back up won;t work for a 1 TB different computer.

Although the data is erased, the space hasn't been freed up - any ideas?

Thanks,

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 11:29 PM

You need to erase from the airport utility.. not the disk utility. All you have done is wipe out the content of each sparse bundle .. But all the space is still filled up.

In airport utility, click on the TC.. which will bring up the summary.. click on the edit button in bottom right.. click disk tab.. click erase.. and do a Quick Erase which just take a minute or so.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 11:29 PM in response to DerekGood

You need to erase from the airport utility.. not the disk utility. All you have done is wipe out the content of each sparse bundle .. But all the space is still filled up.

In airport utility, click on the TC.. which will bring up the summary.. click on the edit button in bottom right.. click disk tab.. click erase.. and do a Quick Erase which just take a minute or so.

Time Capsule on a different machine - no space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.