Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer will not start after update attempt

I saw that my computer had an update and Instead of waiting I decided to click update now... it will not restart and sends error alert

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 10:39 AM

What is the error alert? Do you get to any screen at all? If so what screen?

What model of Mac do you have? From what version were you trying to upgrade from?

Can you boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support). 

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If so then try rebooting normally.

If not try booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down). Select Disk Utility and run First Aid on the drive. Reboot normally.

If you still can't reboot normally boot again into the Recovery volume and select Reinstall OS X.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 10:39 AM in response to elwoodIMAC

What is the error alert? Do you get to any screen at all? If so what screen?

What model of Mac do you have? From what version were you trying to upgrade from?

Can you boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support). 

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If so then try rebooting normally.

If not try booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down). Select Disk Utility and run First Aid on the drive. Reboot normally.

If you still can't reboot normally boot again into the Recovery volume and select Reinstall OS X.

My computer will not start after update attempt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.