Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer not correctly responding to keyboard input

No matter what keyboard I use, my 2017 iMac computer is not demonstrating the correct letters. For example, if I type a j I get an h; an f is a u; u is g; r is p, etc.

I have two keyboards and have tried both. The same thing happens, leading me to believe it's the computer, and not the keyboard. Similarly, my two keyboards work with my MacBook Pro, no problem.

I have tried restarting, restarting holding the shift key, rebooting my modem. the number key and language settings, but nothing seems to be working.

Any idea how to unscramble my letters in my Mac?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 12:32 PM

greyegg wrote: No matter what keyboard I use, my 2017 iMac computer is not demonstrating the correct letters. For example, if I type a j I get an h; an f is a u; u is g; r is p, etc.

Go to system preferences/keyboard/input sources and make sure you have only one item on the list, and that the name of the item is "US" (and not Dvorak, shown below).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 12:32 PM in response to greyegg

greyegg wrote: No matter what keyboard I use, my 2017 iMac computer is not demonstrating the correct letters. For example, if I type a j I get an h; an f is a u; u is g; r is p, etc.

Go to system preferences/keyboard/input sources and make sure you have only one item on the list, and that the name of the item is "US" (and not Dvorak, shown below).

Computer not correctly responding to keyboard input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.