Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore specific application from Time Machine Backup

My iMac has broken down and I cannot get it fixed because of Covid-19.

I have many Time Machine backups from my iMac but my question is can I restore a single application from these backups to a MacBook Pro.

If this is possible how do I find the application because there just seems to be mountains of information in different locations under different names.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 2:42 PM

14 replies

Mar 31, 2020 2:31 AM in response to BDAqua

I have tried this but unfortunately there are numerous folders which have an Applications folder within them so I’m really confused as to which one actually works.

I've tried 2 so far and both aren’t the correct ones.

do you know if there is a specific folder I should be looking in e.g users/(name)/applications/.....

May 1, 2020 10:18 AM in response to BDAqua

This was a helpful thread. However, when I tried to follow it to restore a version of iMovie that worked last month but no longer will save my projects, it did not work. Here is the error message I am getting: com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1

Should I return and follow you previous instructions again, or is this a different problem?

restore specific application from Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.