Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Crashes

My MacBook started crashing randomly after the last update. The screensaver and power saving is off, and the reboots happen if applications are open, or they are closed and it is just sitting idle.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 3:18 PM

Free-Dawg Said:

"Supplemental Update fixes nothing. Still crashing after screen-saver idle. Reboot has happened twice since the supplemental update was applied."

-------

The Ultimate Solution...

Reinstall the macOS Anew:

I. If it applies: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then...

II. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Open: Disk Utilities
  3. Delete: the partition
  4. Reinstall: the macOS

Once Installed Anew...

III. Reinstall All the Software:

1. Use Migration Assistant to move Apps a Files back in.
  2. Ask developers for new software keys - but contact the developers only --- none other --- or you may end up with malware and spyware installed.
79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 3:18 PM in response to MBP16happyuser

Free-Dawg Said:

"Supplemental Update fixes nothing. Still crashing after screen-saver idle. Reboot has happened twice since the supplemental update was applied."

-------

The Ultimate Solution...

Reinstall the macOS Anew:

I. If it applies: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then...

II. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Open: Disk Utilities
  3. Delete: the partition
  4. Reinstall: the macOS

Once Installed Anew...

III. Reinstall All the Software:

1. Use Migration Assistant to move Apps a Files back in.
  2. Ask developers for new software keys - but contact the developers only --- none other --- or you may end up with malware and spyware installed.

Apr 7, 2020 11:01 AM in response to dalefromsaugus

dalefromsaugus Said:

MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Crashes: My MacBook started crashing randomly after the last update. The screensaver and power saving is off, and the reboots happen if applications are open, or they are closed and it is just sitting idle.

———-

Provide Apple Feedback on this.

The more they hear of this, the more they’ll know what is going on, and what needs to be included in the next updates.

Apple Feedback Site:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: Bug Report” for the “Feedback Type
  3. Select: Software/Firmware Update” for the “Feedback Area.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary.

Apr 7, 2020 10:37 AM in response to dalefromsaugus

This DEFINITELY has nothing to do with Norton. I don’t have Norton, never had it, never used it, and my 16” 2019 MacBook Pro crashes almost every night after being idle. I worked with Apple 1st Level Support last week, ran hardware diagnostics - CLEAN. I reinstalled macOS 10.15.4 from Recovery mode. Also reset NVRAM/PRAM and SMC. None of this made a difference. Within a day or two, crashing returned.

This is DEFINITELY an underlying problem with 10.15.4. Gouging to reopen the case with APple Support today and see if I can get this issue escalated.

Apr 27, 2020 9:09 AM in response to dalefromsaugus

Uninstall the Symantec software according to the developer's instructions and run for a while to see if there's any improvement.

There's no reason to run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on a Mac. They are unnecessary. If you have any other than Symantec download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

May 3, 2020 3:18 PM in response to rottonapple1

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be contributing to the problem.

Apr 4, 2020 8:56 PM in response to dalefromsaugus

I'm getting the same error message, but I'm in Mojave (10.14.6). This crash has been happening off and on for the past couple of months. This is an iMac I got this past August, so barely six months old, and it's been doing this for at least half that time.

I do have Norton running on it, so it might be a Norton issue for me. It seems to restart a lot overnight. When it restarts when I'm using it, it's happened most often when I'm searching for something in Spotlight or using the search feature trying to track down an email in the Mac Mail. It just blinks out in a scary way, like someone pulled the plug.

Apr 9, 2020 2:38 PM in response to knittenorma

knittenorma Said:

"April 9, 2020: Got notification of update to original 10.15.4. On restart, system stops installing software. I waited about 45 minutes, then unplugged computer. Plugged it back in and computer came up. I am getting notice to install the software update but will not. If system updates on its own, I'll follow same procedure."

-------

Create a New Administrator:

Try creating a new administrator to perform this install. If it work with the new administrator, then transfer everything over to the new user, and then trash this current user. You should be good to go from there.

Then Try a Manual Download:

Go Here: Download macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update - Apple Support. Connect this directly into your router using Ethernet, if an available option to you. Elsewise, use Wi-Fi.

Important: Download it from Apple and none other. Elsewise, it may be a scam, or malware.

Apr 9, 2020 2:36 PM in response to dalefromsaugus

dalefromsaugus Said:

"MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Crashes: My MacBook started crashing randomly after the last update. The screensaver and power saving is off, and the reboots happen if applications are open, or they are closed and it is just sitting idle."

-------

A New Update is Out:

Seems providing feedback is was great. As, in turn, Apple to created a fix. On the 8th, this was released: Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update. This update with be included in the reinstallation, which may fix this update issue.

Important: Backup your Mac First, with a Time Machine Backup.

Apr 9, 2020 3:38 PM in response to MBP16happyuser

MBP16happyuser Said:

"Are you kidding me ? Common that’s to much for a new MacBook ."

-------

No -- but if it is new, then perform Send-In Service:

Right now, with the Coronavirus Pandemic going around, mail-in service is available. You have a one-year limited-warranty. So, contact Apple Support. You will be shipped a box; you'd ship the Mac in via box; Apple will fix what need be; and Apple will send it back to you. If a faulty device, service will be free of charge.

Contact Apple:

--- Contact Us - Choose Locations

--- USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

--- Proceed from there as Necessary

May 24, 2020 2:41 AM in response to brokleg

brokleg Said:

[...]The only solution worked for me is downgrade to 10.15.3, after that I don't have any crashes.

———-

Inform Apple of the Fix you Came Across:

Most certainly, provide that fix as feedback to Apple. That way, they can be made aware such a fix.

To Report the Bug’s Fix to Apple:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Software/Firmware Update" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Procede from there as necessary

May 28, 2020 10:13 AM in response to Free-Dawg

Update to 10.15.5 went smoothly. Left machine on overnight, reset to the "Put Hard Disk To Sleep" option in System Preferences, it went to sleep, woke up normally WITHOUT incident! First time since before 10.15.4 was installed. Also, all peripherals woke-up instantly, without sputtering or delay, which I think somehow contributed to the earlier crashing. In the 10.15.5 Release Notes, they specifically state they did something to fix awake problem with external displays connected.

Going to run several more tests thru Sunday and if no failures, will declare this bug fixed in my mind.

MACHINE: MacBook Pro 16" (16 GB RAM, Core i7)

DEVICE CONNECTIONS:

• LG 5K UltraFine Monitor (plugged directly in MBP)
  • LG 4K Monitor (plugged directly in MBP, oppose side from the 5K)
  • G-Drive, 4 TB Storage (plugged into LG 5K)
  • Sandisk SSD, 2 TB Storage (plugged directly in MBP)
  • USB-C to RJ45 Adapter (plugged into LG 4K)
  • USB Lightening Cable (plugged into LG 4K)
  • USB BOSE Headset Power Cable (plugged into LG 4K)
  • Epson Single Doc Scanner (plugged into LG 5K)

Jun 10, 2020 2:17 AM in response to vikaspell

day two update, so my new logic board came with 10.15.1, so i bravely updated to 10.15.5. so far so good, Except with chrome !! with GPU acceleration enable in chrome, some websites are corrupted with lines !! yet another problem, ! perhaps i should have stayed with 10.15.1

its only a few sites, other people with MPB 16 have reported this, the solution is to turn off GPU acceleration in chrome !!

anyone else seen this, ?

MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 Crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.