Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Permission Denied" . . . What have I done!

I have just tried to open a project housed on an external USB 3.0 hard drive and FCP X 10.4.8 launches with an empty interface and this ominous message!

I have trashed the preferences but still cannot open any existing projects.

What have I done and what do I need to do?

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 3:58 AM

Prroblem solved . . . I simply shut down and restarted my iMac.

Now everything is back to normal and I can open any Library in any way I wish but I don't know what caused the problem in the first place.

Was it a computer glitch or something I did?

7 replies

Mar 31, 2020 3:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It didn't have so I gave it full access but I still cannot open any existing Libraries.

Yesterday FCP X was working normally and I can't think of anything I have done that could account for this message.

I have tried opening the Libraries from inside FCP X and also double-clicking the Libraries to make FCP X open but nothing works.

I can create new Libraries with no problem.

Mar 31, 2020 4:04 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

As I was writing the instructions below, I saw that the problem was solved by restarting your mac - Great!

FCP X uses "lock files" to prevent a library being accidentally used by different users simultaneously, and these sometimes can prevent one from accessing a library. The solution I was about to offer deletes lock files, in case they have become corrupted and prevent legitimate access to your libraries. Offered "as is", and should never be done without a BACKUP in place.

------- No longer necessary, but just in case it may help someone, I leave those here anyway ---

0) Backup your library (always!)

1) Quit FCP X if it is running (just in case)

2) Control-click on a library in the Finder and choose Show Package Contents

3) Press Command-Shift-period to make Finder show hidden files

4) Delete one or more of the following: .lock, .lock-info, .lock-dir

Mar 31, 2020 4:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Could it be possible that a corrupted lock file was "cured" by restarting the computer?

Or could it be that the coronavirus has jumped from humans to Macs and become a computer virus!

Incidentally, on a lighter note regarding the present pandemic, this video link was sent to me by a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMBh-eo3tvE&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

I do't know whether FCP X was used to edit it but the opening title style is vaguely familiar.

Unfortunately the aspect ratio is slightly squashed and the lip-sync is not perfect.

"Permission Denied" . . . What have I done!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.