Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "Person is not ..." smart albums bug seems to be fixed in Photos 5.0 on macOS 10.15.4

See this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251021356?answerId=251932274022#251932274022

And this user tip: The Smart Album Rule "Person i…" - Apple Community

The smart albums are now working as expected again for me.

Has anybody else tested this and is it working for you now as well?

On macOS 10.15.3 the smart album below would not have been empty, but showing all photos of "Leonie" together with someone else.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 1:04 AM

Is there a use case for "person is not X" by itself?

I need "person is not X" for several reasons:

• when I want to share photos photos with someone, who does not want to be confronted with pictures of an ex partner
  • and most frequently, when fixing missing or incorrect face names after a system upgrade. I am tagging all named faces with an additional keyword with the name of the person. After a system update, that may have changed the face recognition algorithm, I am checking the two smart albums for each named face:
    • Match all: "Person is not Leonie" and "Keyword is Leonie" to find missing faces
    • Match all: "Person is Leonie" and "Keyword is not Leonie" to find incorrectly named faces or faces with a missing keyword

The added face keywords are very useful for a different reason, so it is worth going to the trouble of adding them. I am naming the faces to be able to remember what a person is called, but the info is not showing the name, only a cute thumbnail face, that is telling me less than the photo itself. The name is nowhere in the Info. Even the People album itself is frequently not showing the full name but just the first name as a short name, so I have to write the full name somewhere into the metadata, to be able to find out the names of the people.

Now "person is not X" includes photos with no people at all. Was that the case before the "erroneous" charge? Is that the desired behavior?

Yes, it has been this way in the previous versions. It is useful, if you want to avoid including the photos of a certain person into some project.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 1:04 AM in response to markwmsn

Is there a use case for "person is not X" by itself?

I need "person is not X" for several reasons:

• when I want to share photos photos with someone, who does not want to be confronted with pictures of an ex partner
  • and most frequently, when fixing missing or incorrect face names after a system upgrade. I am tagging all named faces with an additional keyword with the name of the person. After a system update, that may have changed the face recognition algorithm, I am checking the two smart albums for each named face:
    • Match all: "Person is not Leonie" and "Keyword is Leonie" to find missing faces
    • Match all: "Person is Leonie" and "Keyword is not Leonie" to find incorrectly named faces or faces with a missing keyword

The added face keywords are very useful for a different reason, so it is worth going to the trouble of adding them. I am naming the faces to be able to remember what a person is called, but the info is not showing the name, only a cute thumbnail face, that is telling me less than the photo itself. The name is nowhere in the Info. Even the People album itself is frequently not showing the full name but just the first name as a short name, so I have to write the full name somewhere into the metadata, to be able to find out the names of the people.

Now "person is not X" includes photos with no people at all. Was that the case before the "erroneous" charge? Is that the desired behavior?

Yes, it has been this way in the previous versions. It is useful, if you want to avoid including the photos of a certain person into some project.

Apr 1, 2020 3:16 PM in response to léonie

léonie, seeing your test example above (person is X AND person is not X) made me realize that there IS a use case for the "erroneous" behavior of "person is not X" -- finding X and somebody else. Is there a use case for "person is not X" by itself?

The "Person is not ..." smart albums bug seems to be fixed in Photos 5.0 on macOS 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.