Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use I mac 2009 as a monitor

I have a Macbook Air (model 2019) containing Thunderbolt 3 USB C, what should I buy as a cable connector to use my IMac 2009 as a monitor for my Macbook Air 2019?

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 8:25 AM

There were at least five 2009 iMac models.

Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

Identify the ports on your Mac - Apple Support

Please read Use your iMac as a display.

11 replies

Mar 31, 2020 8:40 AM in response to henrique272

That iMac has a Mini DisplayPort and the MacBook Air has Thunderbolt 3 ports.

There are many sources for cables and adapters. Monoprice is one. I am unable to provide a specific recommendation only because I don't happen to have that model iMac (a 20 inch Mid 2009). Start with Monoprice and determine if you can find a recommendation from a reviewer.

Mar 31, 2020 9:56 AM in response to henrique272

What the rest of the world calls USB-C Apple calls Thunderbolt 3. It's actually more complicated because Thunderbolt devices require Apple proprietary Thunderbolt hardware.

I suppose Thunderbolt sounds less intimidating, but Apple's efforts to simplify things probably just added to the confusion. But in any event everything we knew as Mini DisplayPort is now Thunderbolt.

HDMI used to be simple too.

Use I mac 2009 as a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.