Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app keeps telling me "Password Incorrect"

I can't get email on my iPhone SE; keeps saying Password Incorrect, Enter password for the IMAP account "blahblah@ aol.com". Stopped getting email last August (usually use my PC). Even changed my Apple password, still get error. Have rebooted phone, no change; my OS is up to date. Any help?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 3:33 PM

Email was accessed thru webmail at AOL on Safari. No useful information in AOL Recent Activity.

The SOLUTION: I deleted my email account from my iPhone (Settings/Passwords & Accounts/Mail...) then Add New Account...

Exactly the same as the old one, with same password. All email then arrived.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 3:33 PM in response to Zardoz9

Email was accessed thru webmail at AOL on Safari. No useful information in AOL Recent Activity.

The SOLUTION: I deleted my email account from my iPhone (Settings/Passwords & Accounts/Mail...) then Add New Account...

Exactly the same as the old one, with same password. All email then arrived.

Mar 31, 2020 1:33 PM in response to Zardoz9

Your Apple ID password has nothing to do with the fact you are getting Incorrect Password prompt for your @aol.com email account.

This is an AOL account issue. Either, as stated in prompt, your user account or password is wrong, or AOL is blocking access to the account from the device or location you are using as it doesn't recognise as trusted.

Verify if you can access your AOL account using AOL website. If password is accepted, while logged in to AOL account, verify recent account activity and why access to account from Mail app is denied. If you still have no luck, contact AOL for help.

Mail app keeps telling me "Password Incorrect"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.