Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C Porrts not working after Catalina Update

Called support.

Reset everything like they asked me to.

Re-installed Catalina.

Still not working. They only work for charging.

Does anyone have a fix???

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 10:32 PM

CayleForApocalypse Said:

USB C Porrts not working after Catalina Update: Called support. Reset everything like they asked me to. Re-installed Catalina. Still not working. They only work for charging. Does anyone have a fix???

———-

Restore from a Time Machine Backup:

Did you back up your Mac prior to installing this update? If so, restore from it, seeing if that fixes this. This is a pure example of why to backup your Mac prior to any major change to your system (update being such a change). How to Use Time Machine: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Create a New Administrator User:

Also, create a new Administrator User. (System Preferences > Users & Groups). ,Sign into it and see if this still occurs. If not, then it is something configured in your current user. So, transfer all your files to the new user, rid of this current user, and use the new user from then on. You should be set to go.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 10:32 PM in response to CayleForApocalypse

CayleForApocalypse Said:

USB C Porrts not working after Catalina Update: Called support. Reset everything like they asked me to. Re-installed Catalina. Still not working. They only work for charging. Does anyone have a fix???

———-

Restore from a Time Machine Backup:

Did you back up your Mac prior to installing this update? If so, restore from it, seeing if that fixes this. This is a pure example of why to backup your Mac prior to any major change to your system (update being such a change). How to Use Time Machine: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Create a New Administrator User:

Also, create a new Administrator User. (System Preferences > Users & Groups). ,Sign into it and see if this still occurs. If not, then it is something configured in your current user. So, transfer all your files to the new user, rid of this current user, and use the new user from then on. You should be set to go.

Mar 31, 2020 11:02 PM in response to CayleForApocalypse

CayleForApocalypse Said:

I did Time Machine on my external hard drive that I now can’t revert back to because my ports don’t work to plug in the drive. :(

———-

Reinstall, then Restore:

So, reinstall the macOS through Recovery Mode.

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode
  2. Delete: the Hard Drive and all Partitions
  3. Reinstall: the macOS
  4. Restore: the Mac to the Time Machine

Try that and see if it works.

Mar 31, 2020 6:54 PM in response to CayleForApocalypse

If you’ve called support, and have done everything support has requested, and have not gotten resolution, contact support and updates them and ask them what’s next.

Had an issue with a security patch for Mojave that disabled ports, and resetting the SMC resolved that. Whether thar reset is among what you’ve tried here?

But contact the folks at Apple Support, and see what’s next.

Mar 31, 2020 6:58 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks.

we did SMC reset and LVRAM (don’t know if that’s right) reset. Those didn’t work.

Then in re-installed the operating system. We were pretty certain that would, it didn’t.

I don’t know what else to try.

I don’t want to get it serviced because Apple stores are closed due to the virus. I’m desperate to fix this!

I have an old MacBook and I plugged my USB devices in to that and they work fine.

USB C Porrts not working after Catalina Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.